Gruner Ford to Roselle Advice

Home Forums General Discussion Gruner Ford to Roselle Advice

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Eaton
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3

I know everyone has their eyes on the upcoming celebration and races, but I’m hoping there’s some space and grace to help out a newbie to the St. Francis. I’ve done a little homework but really am hoping to get some friendly insight from what I’ve been trying to gather from reading around the internet…

Question – My trip to the Current this weekend (March 3-5) was diverted to hiking around Millstream Gardens, but I can’t shake the idea of taking out my boat. So bottom line, I just want to get on the water, and am wondering if anyone could comment on Gruner Ford to Roselle as an option while I’m in the area. What are acceptable water levels there, considering I’ll have some tolerance for occasional dragging if that’s the price I have to pay? Alternatively, if there isn’t any Upper Saint to paddle this weekend, any recommendations of where else I should look while in the general area? Also considering Roselle to Millstream, but there seems to be more documentation of that stretch.

Background – I’m in a LL Remix XP9 and bring along a Perception Prodigy 10 for a friend; spray skirts, helmets, throw bags, etc for each. I get out to the Buffalo, Current and Jacks Fork whenever I can year round, but have never found my way on to the Saint Francis. It’s been probably a decade since I’ve done anything over class II (Upper Peninsula) except for one unintended wild day on the Buffalo, so I’m trying to stay off the lower Saint until I can make the spring clinic.

Homework – I’m not trying to be a lazy noob; I did look at Missouri Canoe, American Whitewater, and searched the forums here (found this). I’m also looking at a gage near Roselle I think on the RiverApp, which is at 2.61ft as I type this. I guess I’m just hoping for some additional context for what I should keep my eye on as my trip approaches so that I can find my way to some water somewhere if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to point me in the right direction!

George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

I havent ran from gruner to roselle yet, but Ive done syenite to roselle a couple times (always above 4 ft). From what Ive been told, there is quite a bit of dragging below 4 ft.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Gruner to Syenite is a pretty good run, no big thrills and spills because you are still in the graveled lowlands, but it is pretty  and it can be run inches above 0. I wouldn’t run syenite unless the gauge was showing 15 inches or more.

Jason Robinson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 88

One other suggestion, if you are looking for a “float trip” near Millstream.  You could go from D Bridge to E Bridge.  Pretty good little run and not really any whitewater (shuttle is a little logn).  Or, the Little Saint is pretty fun with some small, fun riffles, but not sure the water will be high enough this weekend.

Mike Eaton
      Participant

Thank you for your initial responses! I sincerely appreciate the feedback. Maybe I’ll consider doing both Gruner to Syenite and D Bridge to E Bridge for now, and leave Syenite to Roselle or Little Saint as bonus options if water levels are reasonable. I do now see georgieporgie’s topic on Syenite to Roselle from this time last year which has some good comments and videos.

Mike Eaton
      Participant

Just wanted to followup and say thanks for the recommendations. While everyone else was having fun downriver on Saturday we ended up choosing to explore Syenite to Roselle (at just over 3ft). It was more fun than I was expecting. Did a little bit of dragging but never had to get out of the boat and hoof it. There were enough rocks and drops to keep us entertained but within range of our skill level.

Trip took us 4.25 hours for the 10.7 miles with a fair amount of stopping and playing around. The first mile is slow, the next three to four are a lot of fun, and the last 6 are pretty boring and flat but still pretty. Roselle is an easy take out to find because it’s the first bridge you pass under. I probably wouldn’t do this trip again much below 3 ft, and still sporting my rookie status, the same might be true for high water because there are some narrow sections thick with trees and bushes on the riverbank that I imagine would make vision and passage harder in significantly higher, faster water.

Anyway, thanks again for helping me find an entertaining weekend on the water. Hopefully I’ll be joining at the clinic this spring so that I can find my way further down river soon.

George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

Sounds like you mostly enjoyed it. I’m glad to hear it! I did Syenite to Roselle back in October when the water was roughly 4.5 feet and it was some of the most fun I’ve had paddling. That last big rapid before the river flattens out is always a good time.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart