Saint 101 Question?

Home Forums General Discussion Saint 101 Question?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jake
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3

Hi,

My name is Jake and me and my wife love kayaking.  We have been on a class III in Washington on the Ho River with a 10.5 foot inflatable kayak and on class II in our current boats, mine is a 12′ patriot and my wife’s is a 10′ old town, here in Missouri.  My question is can we use these boats to float the whitewater sections of the Saint.  Any instruction will help the only reason I ask is I see people going down the Saint is canoes.

Thanks,

Jake

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 113

Roselle to Fishermans is class II

Jake
      Participant

What about the section from the beginning, Gruner Ford Access, to the Roselle Access?  Also would our boat suffice for the section from Fishermans access in millstream gardens conservation area to the silver mines dam campground and access?

Thanks,

Jake

Trent
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 17

Jake, Your boats will be fine from Gruner Ford to Millstream . I boat gruners south quit abit when water is good. But, not for Millstream to D bridge.After D bridge to Lake Wappallo solid.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Trent.
        Jake
        Participant

Hi trentely,

Thanks for the reply.  Just to clarify it is best to have a whitewater kayak for the section from millstream to D bridge?  If yes do you know anyone that would be willing to teach me and my wife how to flow this section in a whitewater kayak and perhaps has two extra kayaks to use we would of course be willing to pay.  Otherwise is there any other events or outfitters that you know of that take people on the millstream to D bridge section?  Last how is the Gruner Ford to Millstream section is there any whitewater at all is it fun, fast paced?  I just want to know more about the section before going and advise from someone that has done it before will only help.  Thanks again for any help that you can give.

Best,

Jake

John Tansil
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 206

For general information about whitewater on the St Francis, use the American Whitewater website  for Missouri rivers http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/MO/

You might benefit from guidebook info.  The best one is  http://www.brushymountainpublishing.com/rivergypsies/rivergypsies_guide.html

Another one  for Ozark Rivers is  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0897325214/americanwhite-20

It sounds like you would have benefited from our Beginner/Intermediate Clinic in the spring.  However, you can always travel to a place for whitewater instruction.  The best, closest one is Nantahala Outdoor Center, about 500 miles away.  Just google them.

Please do no think the inexpensive boats prominently advertised in discount stores will get you down a whitewater river.  They are only made for lake and float stream recreation.

Happy paddling!

— JohnT

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 113

The Saint is loosing water fast and soon the upper section Roselle to Fishermans and above won’t have enough water to paddle.Same for the Millstream section. This is a very rain dependent river, which is usually unboatable by now. It was zero at D bridge Sunday

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart