Shannon County Whitewater

Home Forums General Discussion Shannon County Whitewater

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      mac
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 40

Has anyone ran the shut-ins west of the Current River?

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 82

Never knew there were any. How can I find them?

mac
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 40

I was hoping to hear from river vets such as John T or Chuck about this topic. If no one comes forward with information about the area in question, I will post details of the location after I make the first(?) descent.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

If you are referring to rocky falls, as far as I know, no one has run it yet. There is more on that creek between the falls and the current river as well, so run the whole thing. No run on Johnson shut-inn either, but a deadly hole is just at the bottom. I have run below shut-inns down to lake= not worth it, and the Ameren guards hassle you.

Every summer I plan to measure pool depth below killarny dam, but always forget to do it, but I’m convinced the dam is runnable too.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by McChuck. Reason: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read- G Marx
      Bill Fordyce
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 33

As far as I know Rocky Falls still hasn’t been run.   I did check it out several times (when I lived on Russell Mt) after heavy rains but it was never enough for me to feel I could avoid the spot on the left.    Most of the water flows towards a very obvious pinning spot, a slot just made for a kayak (check it out in the summer).   Maybe an open boat would be a good choice that way when you stopped in a dead pin you could (and prolly would) fly forward.   The creek below the falls to the Current River has been run several times.   I think Ronnie and/or David from Discover Ministeries might have been the first.    Lots of water needed for some cool twisty drops…   Timber/brush can be a problem—I haven’t seen it since the 2009 Derecho, go as part of a team.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart