Black River advice

Home Forums General Discussion Black River advice

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Alan Peterson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 42

If I wanted a day long, easy, family fishing float, on the Black River, and planned to take out at the Hwy K bridge near Annapolis, where would the best put-in spot be, that is available to the public. I’m not looking for a canoe rental place. I want to put-in and take-out on my own. Kids involved, so I need a trip that can be done in one day without a lot of hard paddling.
      Thanks.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Alan Peterson.
      JohnKuthe…
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 291

Stay AWAY from where the ATVs are driving through the crystal clear waters of the Black River, I got violently ILL from the OIL they spill in the river! Seriously! 🙁

JohnKuthe….

Missouri Whitewater
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 62

Alan – we found last year that there are few if any places to put-in on the Black, and no designated “Public access”.  Private liveries have it locked up it seems.  They prohibit private parking at their takeouts or put-ins as well.  There was some talk about putting in right in town, in Lesterville.  There are a number of places where local folks gather (and park?) at the river so there must be some “public” access availability.  On Google maps, you can see multiple places where roads end at the river and it looks like plenty of access, but no telling which ones are private.  Someone from the local area might want to comment here.

MWA is floating next Saturday 9/11 with River’s Edge Campground/Livery, meeting there before 10:30, and taking the bus to the put-in at 11 am.  They haul private kayaks & canoes for a fee, and also rent.

Missouri Whitewater
      Participant

Update:  Google Maps show the MO Dept of Conservation maintains an area on the Black River called “Lesterville Access”, on County Road 364, south of Lesterville.  See this website for some limited info & a map.  It looks like about a 9 mile float to Highway K.  It’s about a 15 mile, 30 minute shuttle drive (each way) from the Access to Highway K, back through Annapolis.

At Highway K, it appears there are several access points and lots of sandbar areas.  That may be where some of John Kuthe’s  destructive ATVs are operating.

Never been there, but others may have something to say about this.

The Lesterville Access is a mile or so downstream from the Riverside Campground (where the MWA float this weekend will end), so we may be able to take a look at it, for future reference…  Stay tuned.

mac
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 40

The above access information is correct. However, the river channel has moved further west and the access leads to the normally dry channel, so you must carry your equipment for some distance to enter the water. I had to use flagging tape to identify the dry channel when using it as a takeout after putting in on the Middle Fork just outside of Lesterville.

Alan Peterson
      Participant

I went to that MDC access a year ago and met some MDC people who just happened to be there. They told me the river channel changed and you had to drag your stuff a half mile to get to the water now. They were looking to reroute the road to the water. But I don’t think they were getting much support from Jeff City. Seems a waste for MDC to spend the money to buy land for public access and then give up and leave it unusable. I wouldn’t mind paying some private person five or ten bucks to let me put in, but I hate to rent canoes when I have three of ‘em.

Missouri Whitewater
      Participant

Riversedge will haul your private boats to their putin (upriver from Lesterville) for $15/kayak & $20 per canoe.

Alan Peterson
      Participant

Thanks for the advice. I assume Lesterville to the K bridge would be an easy one-day float.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart