WARNING RIVER HAZARD barbed wire on lower stouts

Home Forums General Discussion WARNING RIVER HAZARD barbed wire on lower stouts

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ScottO
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 55

Paddled lower stouts creek today with Cody and Alex. There were two places with barbed wire strung across the creek. Both were at a dangerous level, from chest high to just above the water.

Alex made it over the first one, but Cody got it in the chest and was ripped out of his boat. He is fine  but it was scary.

We spotted the second one and were able to go around it, but at lower water it might not be possible.

I would not go again until we can confirm it is removed. Cody is going to talk to the land owners and, if necessary, conservation.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

You have every right to cut that wire. My exbro-in-law and I used to fish the Saint between the 2 67 brdges and he would bring cutters to cut the wire. It finally ended up in court when he was filmed cutting the wire. In court it was determined that the Saint is a public resource and putting wire across it was illegal.

Stout’s is no different. There is a very disturbing group who feels that if they own both sides of the river, that they have the right to stop all river traffic. This comes up yearly in our state legislature and gets voted down. These landowners are on the big Piney, but it has also come up on other rivers. The Black and Meramec come to mind.

I have no idea hat these landowner’s feelings are. It can’t be related to trash as tons of trash comes down Stouts every year from human pigs living in Ironton. It has to be a “my empire” type of psychological disturbance, which we all know happens on a larger scale.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by McChuck. Reason: I am a leader, not a follower...unless it's some dark, spooky place
      George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

Sounds like the brewing of a lawsuit!

John Tansil
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 206

I would be careful about talking to landowners. Interactions between boaters and landowners don’t always end well. Land ownership along Lower Stouts is a mix of public/private. Personally I would take wire cutters and cut the wire. It is easier to seek  forgiveness than ask permission.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

If I were well I would have cut those wires today. Cody very politely called them. Sue and Howard Henry, 573-546-2343. They are utter ass-holes. They told him to get a lawyer, that boaters were now trespassing, and she hung up on him. They are just down from Dayspring Bible camp. To all intents and purposes it looks like they just want to block river traffic and declare their little private empire there.

It is time for eco-tage.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by McChuck. Reason: I've got all the money I will ever need if I die at 4 pm tomorrow- Henny Youngman
      ScottO
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 55

i agree with cutting the wire, and we would have if we had tools to do it.

the problem with only doing that is that they can just put it back up. if we at least try to let them know it is unacceptable maybe it wont go back up.

in this case they had a chance and were assholes about it, so from what i understand, a conservation agent is going out to make them remove it and issue a hefty fine. maybe that will get them to not put it back up. hopefully conservation follows through.

George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

Anything ever come of this? Is the hazard clear?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart