Ward Brother's 2017 season edit

Home Forums General Discussion Ward Brother's 2017 season edit

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      CJW4D
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 313

Hello!

It has been so long since Missouri has had water,  I can’t remember the last time I saw many of the MWA folks!

Just put together a season edit of some of the paddling Terry and I were able to squeeze in this season.  It was far and away the strongest season of boating we have had since our quest began four years ago.  With that being said, Terry and I both faced some unfortunate injuries this season.  I managed to tear my labrum in early May;  While spending time away from the water, I started getting back into Mountain biking as it didn’t bother my shoulder.  It didn’t take long for me to remember that “land boofs” can be dangerous too.  A bad wreck on the bike in Utah left me with multiple fractures in my right arm.

As for Terry, he managed to rehab his shoulder from an injury the previous season to 100%.  This season, he became one of the luckiest paddlers alive;  He had a horrific landing off Metlako, but was able to walk away from it.  A short time later, it was confirmed that he had severely compressed a lower vertebrae.  Since his accident in May, he has made another 100% recovery and is chomping at the bit to get back on the water.

For now, I will be rehabbing the right elbow and shoulder;  Looking forward to #betterdays soon!

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

I saw the video today and WOW! awesome video. When I saw Terry’s landing I went “ouch” and Di asked me why….I landed flat off of just a 25 footer and it really hurt. What was Terry’s height-50 feet?

Glad you both are recovered…but take it from a geezer- you will be “revisited” by these injuries in the future!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by McChuck. Reason: It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent- D Barry
      CJW4D
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 313

Thanks Chuck!  Hope to catch you and Di on the rivers soon!

Yea, I remember you saying it best a season or two ago; “big drops are just a numbers game,  and sooner or later you get hurt”

The one that maimed Terry was 80 to 100 ft…Ironically enough this drop is known for its simplicity;  aside from the height, no major hazards in the pool below.  The plan was to run the falls,   Then float an easy 10 minute on class 2 boogie to the car…. we didn’t do our homework, and failed to realize there was a monstrous land slide in the gorge below the falls a few weeks prior.

What went from being an easy out in the case of an injury, turned into an arduous portage for a struggling Terry.   Couldn’t help but think about your Black Canyon of the gunnison story as we slugged our way out of a seemingly inescapable gorge!

We were able to successfully portage the landslide and put back on the creek for an easier out to the car!

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

What a story! A flat landing from that height would have put my head on my Lumbar. And how could you have anticipated a landslide?

I might add: Despite the injuries, it’s worth it.

Keep on Truckin’

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart