Vermillion River

Home Forums General Discussion Vermillion River

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

I’m curious if anyone has run the Vermillion in Illinois. Wondering if it would be worth a potential road trip.

mac
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 40

The Vermilion river is worthy of a road trip if you are camping in the area and hike the canyons of Starved Rock State Park in the same weekend. The river alone does not compare to the St Francis in terms of gradient and the number of rapids. However, it does have one rapid (Wildcat) that resembles something from the Big South Fork gorge in TN. It used to be pretty straight forward years ago but a landslide has made the rapid much harder now. 

andykravetz
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 30

I disagree. the Vermilion is not on par with the Saint but it’s not a true WW river. It’s a nice float with a few minor rapids. WildCat is the signature rapid and the guy above is right. There was a rock slide and you should scout it. but beyond that, the river is class I-II. There are a few good wave trains, a few good squirt spots and a nice hole at certain levels. If you are bored, it’s another river to check off your bucket list. And you are close to the Yorkville artificial course which is a class II run. Not hard either but it’s a way to spend the day.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart