Silvermines needs help

Home Forums General Discussion Silvermines needs help

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      crazyjerry
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 350

The powers that be are again questioning the need for the Silvermines campground and public take-out.

If you, your friends and family, are kayaking, camping, hiking, or just hanging out, ask the campground host for a comment card.

If you see me before you see Jim or Doris, I have a few with me also

DO THIS!!!  The people managing the campground and take-out keep it very clean, stocked, well mowed and trimmed. We do not want to lose the campground or the hosts that take care of it and the social gathering spot for whitewater freaks (D-bridge parking lot and fire area)

I am worried that if the forest service does not see enough feedback, this area may be up for either closing, or reverting back to completely unmaintained primitive area camping. It will only take a minute of time to fill out the card and if for some reason a person doesn’t want camp host to see comments, it can be mailed to regional office. This has been a great summer for kayaking, so take a minute to help our take-out and fill out a card.

Thanks in advance for the help.

crazy jerry

TakeAHike
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 170

Is the Fredericktown Chamber of Commerce aware of this? They may also want to make comments.

crazyjerry
      Participant

I was told by the city hall, that because of leadership issues, the Fredericktown Chamber of commerce has been completely disbanded.

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 82

Im off today, I guess I will head down to the campground and fill out a card.

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 113

Can someone post a web address where we can leave comments about the wonderful campground and hosts?

andykravetz
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 30

Post the site or the address so those of us from out of state could send stuff in. Never hurts to see that people are traveling hundreds of miles for a campsite.

Andy in Peoria

Alan Peterson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 42

Just a suggestion…

Filling out comment cards is okay, but you never really know if anyone pays attention to them. If you want an effective way to influence government agencies, send an e-mail to your senator and congressman. In this modern Internet era, it is simple. You can look up who they are, using your zip code in Google. Then go to their website and find the “send question/comment to the senator/congressman”. Be polite. State the concern, ask if they could help solve the problem, and say, “Thank you.” You might want to mention, in this case, the district office of the Forest Service responsible for Silver Mines (so they don’t have to dig to find a contact. For this situation, I would give them: Forest Supervisor Bill Nightengale (573) 364-4621 and District Ranger Becky Ewing (573) 438-5427.

I work for state government. I know this is the most effective way to sway decision makers.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Alan Peterson. Reason: Had to look stuff up
      • This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Alan Peterson. Reason: Had to look stuff up
      Alan Peterson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 42

By the way, you may not be restricted to your own congressmen/senators. Some will only take comments from constituents. But you might try to contact the senators and congressman that represent Madison county.

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 113

This is part of the Mark Twain National forest. We need to contact Clair McCaskil Senator, and Ann Wagner, Fed Rep. State has no control over this area. Kathy P. I appreciate everything Jim and Doris do.

Curtis Elwood
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 53

Writing Claire right now.  Is there a particular proposal or funding cut that I can point to in my e-mail?  The more specific we can be, the better.

cindycullen
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 39

Jerry – Where did you hear about this? Or do you have a link to an article? I used to intern for the MTNF at the main office in Rolla and also did some work with the Potosi/Fredericktown District Office. I just want to be fully informed, and maybe I could reach out to some of the people I used to work with. I’m not sure, but I wonder if this would have to undergo a public comment period.

Ps.:

Potosi/Fredericktown Ranger District
      District Ranger:
      Becky Ewing
      Address:
      10019 West State Highway 8
      Potosi, MO 63664Phone: (573) 438-5427

Here is info. on the Forest Plan, which guides all natural resource management activities on a National Forest for a 10-15 year period: http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/mtnf/landmanagement/planning.

Schedule of Proposed Projects: http://www.fs.usda.gov/projects/mtnf/landmanagement/projects.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by cindycullen.
      crazyjerry
      Participant

Sorry Cindy, I have not read the info that you posted, what caused me to make the posts that I did was;

just after the 4th of July, I was in the parking lot, and campground Jim was handing out a few cards, I asked what for?

Trying to quote Jim –

” The powers that be don’t seem to think that Doris and I have enough to do, so now we have to get comment cards from the campers and guests. They seem to think nobody uses this area as mush as we tell them, and when someone shows up to check on the place, it was a bad weather weekend, and we did not have a lot of people here. ”

He seemed upset at the time, so I left and posted the message. Not sure of all the details, but the last time a forest service person was collecting user cards, they were collecting usage numbers before the gobermint shutdown. At that time, everything got shut down. He was collecting info for different areas and at the time, he seemed happy that Silvermines was being well used.

Hope all these issues get resolved

crazy jerry

crazyjerry
      Participant

Currently, Silvermines is NOT being considered for closing, but the forest service wants to check numbers of users, and wants suggestions and comments from those of us that are lucky enough to use this area a lot. Since many people have enjoyed the river recently, please take the time to fill out a card.

jacobsviper
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 418

Yeah jerry when I read your message first I didnt want to be THAT guy that said I didnt feel that was the message I recieved when hearing jim talk, all I understood from him the day we were all standing there, was that he wanted to upgrade the campgrounds, he wanted to have the backing from the PEOPLE and kayaking Community support to tell the higher up people, and make them understand this is what we like and how good they do managing the campground. also what kinda accomidations we would like to see there. Like shower houses more bathrooms ect… But I didnt wanna correct or argue about the matter since im new and have no right to intervene with the matter 🙂 BTW JERRY im going to be making a full run full tutorial on all the routes possible on the saint and I was hoping I could have your kayaking skills to be the one making the moves for the video, Ill follow your exact moves and be right behind you while we do it unless you feel it will hinder ur next move then ill stay back a few steps lol this will serve 2 purposes it will get me a chance to show people all the different routes, and also make me a better kayaker.I know different water levels make different routes but I’d really like to have your skills on this video to show people how to execute them correctly. Would u be interested?

crazyjerry
      Participant

jacobsviper-

I was either not present, or completely distracted, for the conversation that you mention.

as I stated on the July 15 response, when I first heard about the cards, Jim seemed upset about something, so I did not ask a lot of questions.

Some of what I stated is from experience at or around other public use areas, and a distrust of non-local officials making decisions.

I knew that Jim or Doris would not post a message, so I posted about filling out cards. They still want and need comments from users.

And I am behind the cue ball, so if I need corrected or properly informed, I take minimal offence.

jacobsviper
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 418

You know jerry, Now that I think about it you had just pulled up after he was talking to us about it and we were all asking and making jokes about what kinda stuff we could have out there that would be awesome! Like floating bar right after cats paw (just joiking though) when u came up I could see how things got mixed up but yes the fact is the upper forestry dept or whom ever doesnt really think it gets used enough for advancements in the matter of showers and more accommodations so the cards were to entice them to get grants to upgrade the campsite and the grounds in general that is what I took of the conversation now if im wrong and misunderstood him im sorry for the false info but thats the message I recieved from the convo but either way we need cards sent in! Haha are u up for the video of all the routes on the saint this will be several runs and obviously prob this fall

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart