Sassafras Heads Up

Home Forums General Discussion Sassafras Heads Up

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

All the sassafras on my property is dying. This could be due to a disease called Laurel Wilt disease. It is caused by a fungus that is carried by a small invasive beetle from Asia. There is no cure or treatment and is 100% fatal. The last distribution map I saw showed it in Southern Ark. but it is moving North. It could have made a ‘jump’ to the Ozarks. While the death of ALL of our Sassafras trees seems eminent, I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this? What a shame.

Cgagnon
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 41

I would guess that you are correct in your assessment.  I have had several requests to carve sassafras stumps in northern Arkansas in the last couple of years.  Just for your knowledge, I won’t carve them, because the dust is extremely toxic, especially if the wood is still green.  If any of your family goes to take them down, I would fully cover clothing wise and wear a respirator.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Cgagnon.
      McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Talked to state horticulturalist and she thinks they are drowning. Hmmmm seems odd, but this has been a very rainy spring.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by McChuck. Reason: Why do we press "1" for English?
      Freddie Carter
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 222

I remember paddlin The Upper Jacks Fork about ‘66 and a Scoutmaster name of Richard Murphy taught us to identify and harvest the Sassafrass root and make Tea, Never has been a better thirst quencher ! Especially on Ice. Thanx for that memory. Freddie

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart