This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Freddie Carter 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

McChuck
    Participant

All the sassafras on my property is dying. This could be due to a disease called Laurel Wilt disease. It is caused by a fungus that is carried by a small invasive beetle from Asia. There is no cure or treatment and is 100% fatal. The last distribution map I saw showed it in Southern Ark. but it is moving North. It could have made a ‘jump’ to the Ozarks. While the death of ALL of our Sassafras trees seems eminent, I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this? What a shame.

Cgagnon
    Participant

I would guess that you are correct in your assessment.  I have had several requests to carve sassafras stumps in northern Arkansas in the last couple of years.  Just for your knowledge, I won’t carve them, because the dust is extremely toxic, especially if the wood is still green.  If any of your family goes to take them down, I would fully cover clothing wise and wear a respirator.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Cgagnon.

McChuck
    Participant

Talked to state horticulturalist and she thinks they are drowning. Hmmmm seems odd, but this has been a very rainy spring.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  McChuck. Reason: Why do we press "1" for English?

Freddie Carter
    Participant

I remember paddlin The Upper Jacks Fork about ‘66 and a Scoutmaster name of Richard Murphy taught us to identify and harvest the Sassafrass root and make Tea, Never has been a better thirst quencher ! Especially on Ice. Thanx for that memory. Freddie

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.