Rock Creek

Home Forums General Discussion Rock Creek

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

has anyone ran this, say, the past 3 years or so? What a fantastic looking creek!

Dan Prater
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 61

Better get it early in the day after a big rain event,  looks like it drops out in a hurry.  I haven’t heard of anyone doing it recently,  but i don’t know everything 🙂

I’d imagine there’s a reason no one paddles it much and does the other creeks more frequently? Hard to catch or wood is an issue maybe? Or mwa got soft after the old guys slowed down?

I bet perfesser would show you the lines

Cgagnon
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 41

That’s a Chuck question.  I have been wanting to get a good group for Lower Rock Creek, which would be better.  But with things drying out soon, it’ll probably have to wait a year.

DaggerDan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 413

Little Rock Creek or lower Rock Creek? Or is there just a Rock Creek that I don’t know of?

George
      Participant

There is a Rock Creek along D highway, Dan. Little Rock, Lower Rock and then plain Rock Creek.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Rock Creek is well worth the time, a class 3 creek if you catch it at a good level. I put in on D highway, just opposite a dilapidated white house. It goes a little over a mile of just Cl-II+ boogey water along D until you get to a low water bridge. Here the creek leaves and for awhile you are in mostly forest. This section is Cl-III with a 8 foot waterfall slide that looks like it ‘could’ make a hole at the right (very high)  level, although I have never seen it make one.  After one or 2 miles it begins to parallel Madison Co. 537 (?) and empties on Stout’s Creek, near a slab crossing on Stout’s. From here I would continue on down Stout’s to catch the trail near the Saint junction that takes you to the 72 bridge parking lot.

The last time I did this, (7 years ago) there was some wood just down from where it leaves D highway that I had to walk around.  From 1988 to the last time I ran it- maybe 8 times- I never had trouble with wires or landowners, but I was always solo, and very quiet.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by McChuck. Reason: Somebody stole my anti-depressants...I hope they are happy
      George
      Participant

Thank you for sharing your insight, Chuck. A couple of us here in Fredericktown are going to make an effort on this one I believe.

DaggerDan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 413

Cool I’ve never been down those gravel roads to see that creek. I’ll have to go check it out sometime. This section looks like it could be fun. Too bad Chuck didn’t have a helmet cam in his past.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B032’37.5%22N+90%C2%B032’21.5%22W/@37.5437431,-90.539848,233m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d37.543742!4d-90.5392956

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Good map! Thanks Dagger Dan! Believe it or not, I have owned a helmet cam for quite some time. I found it at Cat’s Paw and it still worked. I just have never been much interested in using it. Just a few weeks ago I gave it to Scotty.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by McChuck. Reason: In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.- Nietzsche
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart