Report From the Saint (D-bridge to Sam A Baker)

Home Forums General Discussion Report From the Saint (D-bridge to Sam A Baker)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

We decided to run this section like normal people- using a 17 foot grummond canoe with 2 coolers, chairs, etc. In the past we had done minimalism training runs with long, sleek, racing kayaks and easily did it in 2 days- camping at Lee’s Bluff first day, then finishing second day.

I have recommended this run many times, but now must rescind it! We ran shuttle Thursday, and by Friday aft. we were enjoying fishing (practicing throwing my lure- there are no fish in the Saint), swimming, campfire at Lee’s Bluff- my favorite campsite in Missouri. That’s 10 of the 43 miles.

Saturday we left about 10 am and it took us a too long time to get to Jewett Bridge- long pools and a barge boat. Below Jewett we paddled on into the afternoon, having absolutely no idea how far we’d gone, or where we were at- this is remote river. We didn’t paddle hard, just steady with some lure practice, and made a beautiful camp with lots of wood.

We were prepared to stay thru Sunday night however, so no big deal, except the beer and wine was running out- which of course is a critical depletion of supplies.

Sunday we got an early start and did manage to make Sam A Baker by late afternoon.

So- In a large canoe this is MORE than a three day trip for normal people wanting to enjoy a lazy river. I would suggest 5 days or more. At 2.7 gauge, the highest level we’ve ever done this section, it is very tricky in a Grummond, lots of cl-II, III- rapids. We have done this run as low as 2.05 in plastic, but a 17 foot aluminum is a whole different beast.

I would say an ideal level is probably 3.0-3.5, and you will still hit a few rocks.Being the last person on earth who does NOT have a cell phone- Di’s cell phone came alive on scond night gravel bar. Is throwing a cell phone in the river grounds for cruel and unusual punishment?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by McChuck. Reason: On driving 72 and 67- "I have cruise control, and I know how to use it" -John Kuthe
      George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

Sounds like a good time whether there were any fish or not. Although not nearly as long, have been debating on floating from E hwy down to Saco; google earth shows something called Fishtrap rapid that looks like fun.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart