Report from the Saint (97-17)

Home Forums General Discussion Report from the Saint (97-17)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Jim called and Di and I hit the ground running. When we crossed 72 it was clear and low…..what? Then Turkey Creek was huge at 72.

When we got to D bridge it was running over the bridge….I thought something strange was going on so we did not go to 72 (probably -10″) At MS the water was at 10″ and by the looks of things had not gone much more than 15″

When we finished at D the level was 14″.

There is a lot of damaged trees along the N. bank of the river- snapped in half, about half their length. The huge bankside  Sycamore at Turkey Creek was snapped off just above the base.

My best guess is that the area of the Saint below 72, and above D got a cloudburst of about 3″. All the creeks on the S side were flowing about 100 cfs, and Turkey Creek was out of its banks.

Tomorrow? I will be very surprised if the river even stays above zero.

I will post about 9 am I hope on its condition.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by McChuck. Reason: A book for 65 year olds: The sensous application of muscle linament
      timolson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 15

This shows Roselle gauge got half an inch at about 3pm, and this confirms the precipitation, but it barely moved the level at Roselle, matching Chuck’s description. The most interesting thing is that you can make out a tiny blip of rain right over the Millstream area in this map of the last 24 hours cumulative precipitation:

I’m desperate for some paddle time but this doesn’t give me a lot of confidence that it’ll be runnable tomorrow. However, you all would know better than I would. Thoughts?

McChuck
      Participant

Saturday @ 8 AM= negative 6″

And if you are STILL contemplating a run- remember that this is probably the river level from Turkey Creek down.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by McChuck. Reason: It takes 2 mystery writrs to screw in a ight bulb. One to get it almost all the way in, the other to give it a surprising twist at the end
      McChuck
      Participant

Di and I went to the Saint about 10 am. It was really, really low at MS.

On the good side we picked pounds of Chantrells and Boletes.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by McChuck. Reason: The McHenry book of sex at 65- chapter 2. "Ben Gay? I don't think so! 100 uses for hetero couples
      George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

Are the chantrelles in pretty good shape? The ones I last saw were pretty rough.

McChuck
      Participant

Fresh, smooth and aromatic. Cooking them tonight with our garlic and heritage onions.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by McChuck. Reason: Chapter Three- 50 shades of OA
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart