Report from the (Lower) Saint

Home Forums General Discussion Report from the (Lower) Saint

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

We put on at D bridge early Friday, Di, Sergey,  Ilenya and I expecting a total wilderness trip. I expected the usual assortment of fishermen just below “E” highway bridge, but was totally unprepared at the amount of ATV’s and fishermen above Lee’s Bluff. We did get THE campsite opposite the bluff, and thankfully no ATV’s showed up, but someone did motor up the river to our site.

From Lee’s Bluff to Jewitt Bridge we only saw a few people fishing from their cabins, but from there on it was NOT at all what it was a few years ago. Now there are ATV’s everywhere and the really good gravel bar campsites are generally taken by people able to penetrate the forest in their 4×4’s. The campsite we did get would be beautiful except for the trash left behind and cig butts everywhere, and right at dusk three ATV’s came rolling in to camp (but did not stay). Generally there were few moments of unbroken silence.

It could have been a phenomena related to memorial day weekend….but if I had to guess, I’d say it’s near every weekend.

I will make no comments on what I think of ATVs or the general health of those that ride them, but it worries me about how crowded it’s getting, and how fewer people are willing to do things that require using their own personal power.

I have recommended this trip many times in the past. I now De-recommend it. Three years ago we saw maybe 10 people the whole 40 miles. This time there were 100’s. It is NOT a wilderness solitude, get back to nature, adventure anymore.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by McChuck. Reason: Those who were observed dancing, were thought to be mad by those who could not hear the music- Nietszche
      delgado
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 54

We had a similar experience on the Upper Jacks . Was astonished to find it has been turned into a 4 wheel drive park. I witnessed a large group of vehicles cross the river just above Chauk Bluff. They proceeded to tear up one of the most beautiful gravel bar in the state. Then when we got near Bay Creek . There were atv’s and trucks park all over the gravel bars. I know the NPS has limited resources. Looking at the blatant disregard for the laws. I don’t think anyone has been ticketed for some time. These are state laws. You can only cross the river at established fords. Also goes for parking motorized vehicles.

<br clear=”all” />

———————-
      </div>
      </div>
      </div>
      </div>
      </div>
      </div>
      </div>
      </div>
      </div>
      </div>

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

The Weis’s just told us a huge development is going up next to them on the Black River,

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by McChuck. Reason: Di starts many of her sentences with the same phrase "Have you been listening to me?"
      Freddie Carter
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 222

Beautiful Wilderness here in the high Caribbean Mountains ! Glad that I am not there to observe the destruction of some of my old favorites. Still expecting a visit eventually from yousse guys ! I have 2 extra Pyranha creekers here. A Burn III XL, and a L Machno. Your lodging on the banks of the Yaque del Norte awaits your arrival !

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart