Paddling the Ozarks Guidebook in 2017 + New C&K Mag Article

Home Forums General Discussion Paddling the Ozarks Guidebook in 2017 + New C&K Mag Article

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Bezemek
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 13

Hello!

First, I have a new entry for my online column with Canoe & Kayak Magazine that may be of interest. It mentions a few Ozark runs and a few Missouri boaters are in the pics–though its hard to see exactly who.

Also, I’m excited to report I’ve been hired by Falcon Guides to write the guidebook Paddling the Ozarks to be published in 2017. The book will include about 40 runs in Missouri and Arkansas–mostly beginner/float streams, plus some intermediate and whitewater options.

I’d really like to include some photos taken by Missouri paddlers. The list of the 40 runs is still being decided. But, in the meantime, if you have any high quality photos of Ozark classic float streams that you might want to submit, please send me a PM, or email (I’m in the registry), or use the contact form on my website, or respond to the thread.

Finally, I’d love to hear from paddlers about which floats in the Ozarks are their favorites, as we go through the process of narrowing down the many options to 40 runs.

Thanks!

Mike

Jason Robinson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 88

Nice article Mike.

I was going to say you have to put in Jacks Fork in your Ozarks paddling book, but I see by your Nov. ’15 article that you already planned that.  I really have transferred over to whitewater boating the last few years, but still love an Ozark stream float.  Everyone knows the most popular ones, but in my opinion:  any one of them that you have enough water to start at the top.  Current, Jacks, Eleven Point, they all get better the farther upstream you start (assuming enough water is flowing).

Mike Bezemek
      Participant

Thanks, Jason! Glad you enjoyed it. I definitely want to include some head-waters sections in the guidebook. I’d like to get the Prongs in there, but nothing decided yet. I appreciate the input!

WillPaddle
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 69

Another great article.  Are you going to write an extensive summary of your GC trip.  Seems like that would be a page turner.  Congratulations on the job to write the Ozark guide book.  I am sure it will take a lot of your time but what a great way to get paid to work.  My favorite article of yours is still “I Bought a Raft (Doesn’t mean I’ll carry your crap) because I  was there.  Would love to do another raft trip with you, even if I am just paddling along side.  Maybe someday.

Will

Mike Bezemek
      Participant

Thanks, Will! Yeah, a digital feature about our winter “fresh eyes” Grand Canyon trip will be coming out, hopefully by the end of the month. Yes, let’s do another trip soon!

Alan Peterson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 42

You’re welcome to this photo if you want it.  I took it a couple years ago at the championships.

Mike Bezemek
      Participant

Thanks, Alan! I’ll keep it in mind.

Mike

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart