New Member intro

Home Forums General Discussion New Member intro

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Total Posts: 8

Hey MWA!

My name is Chris, and just joined the MWA. I started kayaking in 2016 in a sit in side recreational boat. Just within the last 6 months, have I acquired the things needed to whitewater kayak. After some terrible reddit post about me trying to roll, Jon W. reached out and offered to help me get better.

Since then, I’ve done 2 pool sessions and 1 trip down the saint on the upper. I’ve meet about 5 people I can remember by name, and look forward to meeting the other MWA paddlers. (Although, I might forget a name or two)

And lastly, I am huge clean water advocate. I been part of Missouri Stream Team for 4 years. I am stream team 5614 – Kayak Dardenne. Personally have removed over 200 discarded tires and countless trash from our local waterway!!!

See you on the river! Chris

jeff clawges
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 70

Welcome! Stream team #3762 here.  Great job on the tires! We did a clean up on the accesses on the Saint last year and got 20 tires or so. We’ll have to get together and get another one going. Bo Jarvis does one right before the races also. SYOTR

Brad Davis
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 22

Welcome to the group, Chris. I am still a first-year paddler myself. The first day of the clinic this past April was my second day on moving water in my whitewater boat. I have made a lot of mistakes in the past 8 or 9 months, but I have also learned a bunch. I will promise you one thing….you will not meet a more friendly or helpful group of people than the members of the MWA. Everyone I have met has been super-nice and always willing to give advice. I hope to SYOTR sometime soon.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

OMgosh…Di and I are the clean stream for the saint and do a clean up every spring and fall. The last clean up we did we barely filled a bag (compared to the usual 3) and were wondering why people had stopped throwing the usual amt of trash. We also got several tires but had to leave one in the willows too big to move. It is now gone…..

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by McChuck. Reason: They say don't shop for groceries when you're hungry, but if I don't I just get hungrier and hungrier
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart