MR340 is in progress!

Home Forums General Discussion MR340 is in progress!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      jw
      • Total Posts: 679

Not sure why the word isn’t out, but the race is underway!

Follow the progress of our compatriots here at Race Owl!

At the moment (5:40 pm Wednesday), the Women’s Tandem of Di McHenry & Mandy Urban (Makeup & Mayhem) is in 1st for their class, 15th overall, having left Jeff City at 4:43 pm.  Tandem paddlers JoJo Newbold & Hogan Haake are in 2nd place for their class, 17th overall, and 4 minutes behind Di & Mandy.  There is another familiar name? Renee Simmonds in a women’s Tandem boat just behind them.  Further down is a 3 person team of Joan Twillman,Jan Cook,& Dave Haessig (142nd), and there is also a John Foster, Mens Solo class, in 165th place.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by jw.
      jw

Times for several paddlers who have already made it from Jeff City to Hermann (next checkpoint downriver) is about 12 hours, so look for the next time check in the morning.

jw

leaders have finished already.  Jo & Hogan should be finishing within the hour.  Di & Mandy should be finishing by noon.

jw

Jo & Hogan finished at 9:48 this morning, in 49hrs, 48 min, 2nd in their class Mixed Tandem, and 10th overall!

Di & Mandy finished at 11:23, in 51:23, 1st in their class, Womens Tandem, & 17th overall!!

24 finishers so far, about 250 still on the course.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

It was a grueling race for everyone with the heat index being daily 105 degrees. Lots of DNF’s and more than a few ambulance rides.

Renee and Jeanette Simmons were paddling monsters, even taking the lead, in a boat that I thought was slower than the rest. The heat got them just above Jeff City and they had to pull out.

A storm at Miami knocked a few out.

Dan Frisch had to repair a boat with epoxy, wait a few hours on shore, then reentered the race.

Di is wiped out and staying with her parents in St. Clair.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by McChuck. Reason: I prfer to speak before I think- I like the surprise as much as everyone else
      Vance Hill
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2

First, a shout out to the stellar MWA showing.  Bravo!

Second, how about the up and coming pedal and SUP classes?  I looked at year’s past and these categories are getting more popular and more competitive.  I love the diversity in divisions amongst the top placers- I wonder if any other type of race compares.  What type of equipment are the peddlers and stand ups using?  Are those pedaling also paddling to mix it up a little?

One of these days…..

jw

The 3 person team Joan Twillman,Jan Cook,Dave Haessig finished at 66:24.

John Foster (don’t know if he’s “our” John Foster) finished at 68:25.

Perry Whittaker finished at 71:39.

The results show Dan Frisch as a DNF & Renee Simmon’s tandem also as a DNF.

I don’t recognize any other names on the list, but I could have missed a few.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Sorry to hear about Dan- he trained hard, but his boat broke. I offered to fix it for him- but he did not want me punching two holes along the seam of the hull on a borrowed boat.

The paddle boarders were extraordinary. A guy from Hawaii won I believe. There was another, Mitch, who kept up with Di the last 70 miles.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart