Middle Stouts

Home Forums General Discussion Middle Stouts

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 82

Is the lower Stouts gauge a good indicator that the middle portion is runnable?

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

There is no lower Stout’s gauge. I actually use a rock I have observed over the last 30 years.
      The best way is to look at a low water bridge which starts the run (incidentally, I wouldn’t put in there.)
      If you see a foot of air space, stout’s is doable, but boney. If you can’t see the bridge at all- the middle run actually is pretty close to a cl-V run.
      Di, Pete Larsen, and I just ran it at that level, and when I got past the slide I was surprised that we all made it.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by McChuck. Reason: My dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings. Why? It's never for them
      George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

At bony levels what would you classify it; a III? Also, why not put in at the bridge? I did notice the public access point just down the road with the lovely couch. Still working on permission to take out at the camp….

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

The people that own that bridge are very inconsistent. They often insist you CROSS the bridge to start from their side> I have no reason why. It is just better to avoid them (and I hope kayakkers avoid their bed and breakfast as well). I normally donate a sum to the camp that allows take-out up to their parking lot across 72. I have not done so this year so I may not either.) Di and I use to train on the lake and use their facilities- but the lake has gotten so nasty we didn’t go one time last year. But you can also take out at any of the pullovers along the lake.
      At bony levels stout’s is an easy 3.

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Thank you for sharing your insight, Chuck. I very much appreciate it.

Dennis Jones
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 45

The Perfesser painted a gauge on the upstream, west pier of the 72 bridge over Stouts but I don’t remember what the numbers mean, maybe he will chime in. Really all you have to do is look at the rapids from the road and see if they look doable for you.

Since you are coming from Fredericktown if you turn off on Co Rd 535 and go look at the low water bridge that crosses Stouts and see if there is enough water to paddle over it there is enough to do Lower Stouts.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart