middle stouts bridge article

Home Forums General Discussion middle stouts bridge article

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

Really good read about the bridge over middle stout creek. Very cool history there.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/news/local/does-stouts-creek-bridge-have-a-future/article_dfc0e924-56c6-5a87-ae1b-ae986796097c.html

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

While I don’t see much damage to the bridge other than the topside caused by people hitting it, I would have to take the engineers word for it.

Get ready for a NEW middle Stout’s riverbed with lots of sharp man-made rock.

Normally I put a saying or observation in the edit box- this one is here: A politician is someone who will double cross every bridge that he comes to. (paraphrase O Levant.)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by McChuck.
      George
      Participant

That was my first thought about it; the newly added rubble to the riverbed, but there was a brief mention about possibly preserving the bridge for its historical value and turn it into an overlook. That’s something I would like to see.

jw
      • Total Posts: 679

what’s the chance of working with the county & the construction company to get them to try & avoid man-made construction rubble, excess concrete, or parts of the old bridge if they demolish it?  Hopefully they wouldn’t just drop it in place & leave it.    Of course that would be the cheapest solution, so …

This probably fits into that navigable streams issue that MO is trying to eliminate…  Who owns the riverbed where the bridge is?

I presume they would put a replacement bridge upriver, if they take that approach?  Seems like they couldn’t go much further downriver without a lot of grading work (which would be really bad for the river bed…)

I guess this wouldn’t be a candidate for adding a put-in at the same time…

George
      Participant

I’m workin on it. Ive sent a couple of emails. Waiting for responses.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

I have talked to county officials involved…we will see.

I would bet the new bridge will be upriver and close to the concrete ford.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by McChuck. Reason: Do women dress to please men, or to be annoying to other women?
      George
      Participant

I’ve received a response from Jason Williams who is Transportation Project Manager. Here is his reply:

“I will be meeting with our historic preservation staff next Wednesday (April 5 1:00p) to discuss the Stouts Creek Bridge project – we could teleconference with you at that time.  If you’ve visited our website or had a chance to follow our media releases pertaining to the project, you are probably aware of the various historical/cultural resource issues surrounding the project.  Our historical preservation staff is best equipped to explain the particulars of these issues.”

I can make arrangements to be available for the teleconference, but unsure how to proceed. Clearly, preservation of the creek bed is priority #1. What else?

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by George.
      George
      Participant

Here is a document describing the various potential routes: http://modot.mo.gov/southeast/news_and_information/public_meetings/documents/publicmeetinghandout_iron_route72stoutscreek_march2017_updated.pdf

It looks like if route A is chosen, it would be laid over what I and several others have been using as access to the creek.

Here is a comment submission form:

http://contribute.modot.mo.gov/southeast/news_and_information/public_meetings/contact_us.htm

I used this to relay some of my concerns regarding the bridge and access to the creek.

George
      Participant

Just finished up the meeting via modern technology.

1. Those I spoke with were unaware many of us use the state park signed area as access to the creek. I asked about how alternative A would impact it and they said there would likely be any property left after the construction (if route A was chosen). They have a meeting with designers tomorrow and have added this concern to the list to discuss.

2. Did you know roughly 2000 b.c. that the area was used heavily to procure rock material to fashion arrow heads, ect? I guess I will have to look next time Im down there because apparently it sounds like its pretty evident.

3. Make it known you want access! Use the above link I provided to comment that you want an informal public access to the creek! Again, they were unaware we use the area to gain access to the creek.

4. It is written in contracts that no rubble from construction/demolition be left behind.

5. No body has claimed the bridge and it will likely be destroyed.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart