Madison County Chamber of Commerce needs ideas for March 2018 races!

Home Forums General Discussion Madison County Chamber of Commerce needs ideas for March 2018 races!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      mbabales
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9

Good afternoon!

I live and work in Fredericktown and I am involved with the Madison County Chamber of Commerce (I’m also an MWA member and novice whitewater kayaker).  😉  Madison County is celebrating their bicentennial this year and would like to assist in helping/hosting/having an event during the 2018 MWA races.  We are looking for your input and ideas on what might be helpful to boaters when they come to town.  Last year, there were several businesses that offered discounted food/drinks to race participants and I believe the Chamber put out a list of those, but I’m not sure how popular it was.

Another idea that was thrown around was maybe a Swap Meet for those wanting to bring gear/boats/etc. to trade or sell but — again — just an idea.  Finding a good location for that AND the time for boaters to attend could be difficult…

THOUGHTS AND IDEAS would be greatly appreciated!  Please use this thread to brainstorm — nothing is out of the question at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Ashley Bales —-

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by mbabales.
      jw
      • Total Posts: 679

Ashley –

Thanks for starting this thread.  All comments are welcome.  The Race Committee has not yet met to start planning for next year, but I just spoke to the Race Director last night, and he is going to post some info here soon.

We would like to work with Madison County on this activity.

FYI – a good, current list of Madison County lodging and restaurants would be most helpful to us, especially if we could have it by mid-January, when we post our Race Registration form on-line.  That list isn’t quite as useful on race weekend, as most people have made their lodging plans (but the restaurant list is still helpful).  And discounts are always welcome!

We also used to enjoy seeing the sign on the “Welcome to Fredericktown” sign on Highway 67 that mentioned “Home of the Missouri Whitewater Championships” (similar to the one about the Azalea Festival).

The races are scheduled for 16-17-18 March 2018.

More to come.

– Jim Warren, for the race committee

mbabales
      Participant

Thanks, Jim.  Any input from the race committee would be excellent and much appreciated!  I’ll check with the Chamber about a lodging/restaurants list and try to get that to you all as well. –Ashley

DaggerDan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 413

If only we had the amount of people that live near the Green river. Does Levi have any ideas after going to the Green Race? It would be awesome if we could match the same atmosphere as GAF at the Nantahala some how.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Parimutuel betting.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by McChuck. Reason: I love walking by someone at an ATM and saying in a low voice "got it!"
      Matt Worobec
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 56

Food trucks? And swap meet.

mbabales
      Participant

MU Extension and Madison County Chamber of Commerce are putting finishing touches on a lodging/camping/food list to send to the race committee prior to January.  I also asked them about the possible list of discounts offered last year.

If there is truly interest in a swap meet and someone from the committee would like to assist me in organizing something “simple” this year to see how successful it is, I’d be happy to attempt to make it happen.  Obviously the focus would be outdoor/kayaking gear, but I would need someone to contact me about possible set-up locations near the course, best times over the weekend, etc.  My e-mail address is mbabales@gmail.com.  Cell is five seven three – five six one – 4289.

Thanks!  –Ashley Bales

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by mbabales.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart