castor run 1/20/17

Home Forums General Discussion castor run 1/20/17

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jacobsviper
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 418

fun run at the castor

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by jacobsviper.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by jacobsviper.
      crazyjerry
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 350

What was the date that this video was made?

where is the gauge that AW is using?

The JT gauge (visible not electronic) is located on the Hwy J bridge that crosses the Castor river.

coming from Fredericktown, go past Hwy W (road to Castor conservation area) just a few miles, cross over the bridge, there is a pull off on the upstream side, walk down and look across river, gauge is painted on bridge pier

If the AW is using the Zalma, MO gauge location, there are several miles between the shut-ins to the gauge.

If you ever see the Castor at 6.8 on the JT gauge, and still wanted to run it, you could be running steep creeks with the Jackson family (or running HUGE water on the Saint with the McHenrys).

Nice run though, I’m glad that you got to enjoy it.

crazy jerry

jacobsviper
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 418

2 days ago and yeah jerry ur right my bad still learning and forgotten to do the conversion… would it be correct for me to say when the little saint on the gauge is at 6″2 or higher u can run castor? cause ive watched the gauge each time and its been correct.. Sorry for not being accurate thats the reason I said correct me if im wrong so thankyou for the correction jerry 🙂 and thanks for the video props we had a great time!

crazyjerry
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 350

Jacobsviper,

I had forgotten that the little saint gauge is semi-accurate for the Castor.

I know that the castor has a gauge at Zalma, but a lot of rain could fall below the shut-ins that would make Zalma gauge rise, but wouldn’t help whitewater people at all.

Depending on where the rain fell, (castor and little saint watersheds are close) the gauge you used will at least tell you approximately how much the Castor rose or dropped in a days time.

I don’t think that the conversion that we use on the saint is quite accurate for other river gauges, maybe someone else has a Castor formula?

I normally have to cross the Castor on my way to the Saint, so if I’m thinking about running the Castor, it takes me only a couple of extra minutes to look at the JT gauge. It takes longer to get cell service to tell other boaters it is up.

crazy jerry

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart