Ashamed

Home Forums General Discussion Ashamed

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Helen
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 40

To whomever shut off my generator potentially killing my dogs I’m so ashamed to be associated with you thinking it could be a potential boater ‘friend’ .   So much for the the friendly boating community who apparently is so cowardice is to not come and talk to me about it.  The note was fine but to shut the generator off goes over the line.

Surely there is a special place in hell for you

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 113

Most boaters are great people, offering help, sharing equipment, food,drink. I’m sorry this happened to you,and am glad you posted. Some don’t think of the consequences of their actions. Hope your dogs are ok. SYOTR. Kathy

Helen
      Participant

Thanks for the words Kathy, they both seem to be okay.  The note was signed “other boaters”  and most know I have dogs in the van…….such an action is mean, hateful and malicious towards me, my dogs or both.  I truly don’t understand it.

Wendell Coonce
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5

Wow.  That is terrible.  I would think most folks at the Saint are very well aware of why you might be running your generator, i.e. to keep your dogs safe and comfortable.  If they were aware of that and acted in that manner, that has got to be one of the most self absorbed actions I have ever seen.  Even if they were not, you still have to wonder.  Glad your dogs are OK.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Helen- these are my observations. We used to bring Butchie, and tie him to a tree on a long leash. Butchie has a very high pitched, nerve irritating yip, and when we came off the river we were  informed by several boaters that their peace had been disturbed as Butchie almost constantly yipped. Something we were not aware happened. . The solution? We don’t do that anymore. It is a public place- and people have a right to have an “outdoor” experience of the sounds of nature, and the river.

I also notice that Jim and Doris are now very actively enforcing the leash law- for our Sammy, who I feel is non-bothersome to anyone, as well as all other dogs. I’m not sure why the sudden change in attitude, but I can only assume that it is in response to complaints. Your dogs, as well as ours, could be generating complaints.

When Di and I arrived, your generator was running, and upon inquiry, we were told it was for your dogs. There were also people complaining about it. We left and upon reaching MS saw other people who were shuttle, but staying at MS due to not wanting to listen to a generator, and smell fumes? (we never smelled fumes) at the take out.

When we took out- you were gone and I was told a note was left. Did the person on the note say they also turned off the generator? I was told the generator burped itself off. If so you need to be aware that in much hotter weather, that could be a possibility, and the dogs could really be in trouble then.

At the ambient temperature we had yesterday afternoon, if WE could park in shade, we would have just left a bowl of water and the windows cracked for our dogs. Were you in shade at your campsite? It seems a simple solution is just remaining parked there (with Jim and Doris’s permission- don’t know when check-out is.)

The person who left the note was well within their rights to do so. If someone DID turn off your generator, I need to think about that one a little more, I have to admit, had I known that it could be turned off from the outside, and if temps were dropping, I would have been tempted to turn it off myself. I really, really hate smelling fumes where there should be only fresh air.

So bottom line- sins were committed, but YOU have some responsibility in this as well. I love dogs, and am more tolerant than others as to dogs and their owners. It doesn’t even bother me to have a large patch of dog drool on my crotch. There ARE people in this world that have a fear of, or don’t like dogs. When you have time to simmer down, think about the day’s (and Saturday’s) events, and about how much you may be imposing on other people.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by McChuck.
      Helen
      Participant

Chuck,

thanks for your thoughts.  I consider myself to be a reasonable person and friends to most everyone that paddles at the saint.  When in their crates my dogs rarely bark unless someone is messing with the van.

There is a leash law and Doris and Jim are commissioned to enforce it.   they do so in the open months of the campground, but a more lenient when it isn’t open, and is mostly boaters.

I am mostly hurt that someone; 1) didn’t seem to care enough or muster the courage to even talk to me about it,  2) would apparently rather harm my pups than to talk to me about it…. It was in the 80s yesterday which means that temps inside a closed van are at least in the 90s if not more.

I DO know that someone such it off….why?  because it has kicked off before when I didn’t know how much amperage it would take and before I had the hard start control put on the air con…and it would just idol (making a sound that it is still on).  No, it had been shut off because the STARTER BUTTON was in the OFF position.   this person is in my opinion, a HEARTLESS BASTARD/BASTARD-ESS AND A COWARD!!! typical passive-aggressive behavior or just plain mean..

Again, I have no problem with someone leaving a note,  it would have been better if someone approached  me about it and even common courtesy.  I take issue that an apparently BIG, overblown ruckus was made about it BEHIND my back and not even discussing it with me…..the whole thing could have been avoided if someone would have bothered to discuss it with me…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart