Winter Pool Sessions / Jan Feb

Home Forums General Discussion Winter Pool Sessions / Jan Feb

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Casara Heaton
      • Preferred Boat: Kayak
      • Years Paddling: 15
      • Total Posts: 139

It’s that time of year again! Winter pool sessions are coming early Jan & Feb 2018.

Pool sessions are open pool time to practice your braces, rolls, strokes, rescues, and playboating moves during the Winter months, so you are ready when that cold water from the Saint hits you in the face.  Please be aware, this is not a class, participants should not expect instruction and should bring their own boat & gear.

Where: Mehlville High School pool, 3200 Lemay Ferry Rd, St. Louis, MO 63125 (behind the school on the left)

When: Typically Sat & Sun evenings, starting the first week of Jan and going for 8 weeks

Cost and exact time are currently TBA.

Once I finalize the details with Mehlville, I will update this thread with directions on how to sign up.
      In the meantime, if you feel strongly about a certain evening that you would prefer the sessions were on, or have any questions, feel free to reply to this or reach out to me at webmaster@missouriwhitewater.org.

Looking forward to seeing all of you as we kick off the new paddling season!

Casara Heaton

Sarah Watson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 120

Hi Casara,

Saturday evening (earlier) works best for us with the kids, and thus is our preference.  Thank you for organizing this!!

Sarah

Casara Heaton

Thanks Sarah!  I followed up with Mehlville earlier this week, we should have registration available soon.

JoeSartori
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 105

Thanks for organizing this Casara! We are thinking about signing up. Sunday would work out better for us.

Casara Heaton

Registration is open for the Annual Winter Pool Sessions.

Pricing is the same as usual:

• $25 for Individuals
      • $40 for family

ACA membership is not required to participate this year and each session is limited to 20 slots.  If slots fill up, we can review another time slot. Please contact webmaster@missouriwhitewater.org with any questions. 

We have designated two time slots to choose from based on discussion:

• Saturday 6pm-8pm, Starting January 6th
      • Sunday 5pm-7pm, Starting January 7th

To Register:

Terry
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 31

Will there be a pool session this Sunday 1/7? Thought I saw online it wasn’t starting till next week but could be wrong and would hate to miss!

Casara Heaton

Hey @tward1393 there will be pool sessions tonight. We were there last night for the Saturday session and confirmed with the life guard.

JohnKuthe…
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 291

This Saturday 1/13/18? I’ve got some very dusty boats that I need to get out and wash Wed and…

I JUST today Mon 1/8/18 had a Thule rack installed on my Leaf, which I can take! Pub after depends on where!

Can I pay for this Sat evening session online or on site? Which evenings are available?

John Kuthe…

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by JohnKuthe....
          Casara Heaton

Hey @johnkuthe – sorry for my delay in response.

We have slots available on Saturday evenings, if you would like to register for all the sessions (every Saturday now until Feb 24th ). Please visit this link: Mehlville School: Kayaking Club on Saturdays

Or, if you just show up on a Saturday, we have a per session rate of $5 (but note it is first-come, first served as it’s limited to 20 boats in the water).

Sunday is completely full – I do not advise walking in on Sundays.

JohnKuthe…
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 291

I appreciate it Craig! Got my Leaf /w/ racks. boat, sprayskirt, all washed off with water outside…and I probably STILL won’t make it down Sat 1/20/18, now 3:40PM and WISH I COULD! 🙁

Maybe NEXT Sat!

John Kuthe…

Terry
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 31

Great, thanks!

Voodoodriver
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4

Is there a session Saturday 2/24? Drop in maybe work?

Casara Heaton

Hey Voodoodriver,  yes our last Saturday session is today. You can drop in – just give the lifeguard $5 before you leave.

Casara Heaton

Thanks to all that participated this year! Without enough participation this event could not happen.  And thanks to all that put in for a tip to the Mehlville lifeguard – He worked every weekend evening for the last 8 weeks – he was very appreciative!

The pool is such a great opportunity to learn – My son, Xander (5) got much more comfortable in his Fun1 , I fine-tuned my back deck roll and worked on a stronger brace dipping my head in the water.

There will be another (shorter) session starting at the end of March. Check Mehlville’s website for more info.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart