whitewater and cricket frogs

Home Forums General Discussion whitewater and cricket frogs

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jonathan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 46

Hi folks,

It was good to paddle with new friends and talk with many more on Sunday.  I’m new to the area (from NC) and I hope to paddle locally whenever and wherever.  Since my schedule is (sometimes) flexible, please consider me for any III or higher trips.  I will be at Week of Rivers again this year.

When I’m not in my kayak, I am a biology professor.  I’m starting up a new research project on geographic variation in cricket frogs in Illinois that could extend into Missouri.  On Sunday, I heard one call briefly from a puddle on river right of the Upper St. Francis.  At the same time, I was told that a cabin above is owned by MWA members.  I’d be very grateful for contacts with anyone and everyone who knows of, or could grant access to, ponds and otehr wetlands where cricket frogs call in the summers.

Thanks

Jonathan

Michael Dee
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 138

I led a tree-climbing excursion today at Shaw Nature Reserve in Gray Summit, MO. It’s your place. Email me (mdee@jburroughs.org), and I’ll give you more details, including an important contact.

It’s cricket frog heaven. I heard them everywhere. And it’s a nature preserve! I really can’t imagine a better place for your work.

TakeAHike
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 170

This may be a dumb question,  but how can you tell the difference between crickets and cricket frogs? I thought I heard them at Lake of the Ozarks this week.

Michael Dee
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 138

I’ll defer to the expert, but I think the call of the cricket frog is deeper, shorter and more percussive than the longer and higher trill of a cricket. I just happened to be in the perfect habitat for the frogs, so I knew they were there and it was easy to distinguish their calls.

Alan Peterson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 42

Cricket frogs sound like someone tapping two pebbles together. “Click… Click.. Click click click”
      Check out a youtube video for “cricket frog call”

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Alan Peterson.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart