Upper Nanty & Ocoee 8/14

Home Forums General Discussion Upper Nanty & Ocoee 8/14

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve Stilwell
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 87

The upper Nantahala/Cascades are releasing Friday 8/14 from 4 pm – 7 pm. Then to the Ocoee Saturday and Sunday. A few of us are going.

Interest?

CJW4D
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 313

WoooWeee!   Love me some Cascades!    I will most likely make this release.    I’ll keep you posted!

cw

John Tansil
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 206

I’m up for this trip. Assume that we are leaving Thursday Aug 13 ?
      I can meet people in Paducah to carpool.
      I get my Social Security check the day before so should have money for trip ;-}

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

Great Mr. T. Yes, I want to leave Thursday. Would like to get a quick warm up run on the Nanty Fridsy. At least from Ferebees down.

Tracy -Byron?

cindycullen
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 39

I was thinking about going to the Ocoee the weekend before this, but I’d be interested in going. I’ll see if I can take vacation. Keep me posted. 314-609-nine.eight.two.eight. ckretzer@live.com.

Casara Heaton
      • Preferred Boat: Kayak
      • Years Paddling: 15
      • Total Posts: 139

I’m down! But, I’d have to leave STL early Friday and head back Sun afternoon.

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

JT, I sent you a PM.

Chris, I figured you would be all over the cascades!

Cindy, Hope you can go.

Craig, Can you make the Friday evening upper Nanty? We will be coming home from the Ocoee Sunday afternoon.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Total Posts: 22

I’m interested-just got Friday off–I would have to leave Fri early AM also-maybe then just meet at the Ocoee and not go to Nanty-drive back Sunday

Anonymous
        Inactive
        • Total Posts: 22

I just got off for Thursday too! So I will maybe leave Thurs too- I’m open

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

Paula, I sent you an email.

mmandl
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 24

I want to join as well. Love the upper Nanty and not been in a while. Will be a great time and get to catch up with my MWA homies.

Tracy Newell
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 46

Byron and I are in. See you Friday afternoon.

Bill rincker
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 13

Does anyone have room for one more person?

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

Looks like quite a few peeps are going. Including some who have not posted.

This is not a MWA sponsored trip. Just some people talking about going paddling.

In the next few days I will post some meeting times.

Mike, I sent you a PM.

cataraftcoop
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 85

Matt Bliss and I are headed to Ocoee Fri am.

Bill rincker
      Participant

Anyone interested in Running the Tuckasegee Saturday and Sunday?

Bill rincker
      Participant

Where are you guys camping? I am heading down on Thursday. I was told the Tuckasegee was being released but the info was incorrect.

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

It’s unclear who all is coming and when they will get there. So, here are the basics for each day:

Myself and several I have talked to are camping at Lost Mine campground Thursday and Friday nights. Reservations are recommended.

http://www.lostminecampground.com

Friday we will meet in front of the NOC store at 9:00 am to set shuttle for a Nantahala run. Then have some rest time.

At 3 pm we will meet there again to set shuttle for the upper Nantahala (in case some want to continue on down the river after finishing the upper.) If you are getting there too late, go to the regular Nanty put in by 3:45. The free shuttle buses leave from there to drop off at the Cascades and Upper Nanty put-in.

Saturday morning we will meet at the Ocoee dam 2 put in at 10:30 to set shuttle for the middle section. Yes, and get going in the middle of the rafts, but some may be getting in late on Thursday and Friday and/or breaking camp and driving from the Nantahala.

It sounds like Saturday night we will be scattered from River Rats, Adventures Unlimited and various motels.

Sunday morning we will meet at the dam 2 put in at 9 am so everyone can get on the road earlier.

My cell is 314-five81-8123.

Gary, hope to see you guys at the Ocoee!

Bill rincker
      Participant

Does anyone have extra room or I can drive down. Just don’t want to drive down by myself. I can leave Thursday or Friday morning. You can call or text 217 four nine four 6104

cataraftcoop
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 85

Steve Matt and I are now thinking heading down Thursday eve.  Never done upper Nantahala,  can I get my cat down looks like it in videos

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

Gary,

I believe the cat can make it down, but you will get bounced around! The scheduled release is 250 cfs which is creeky yet still a fairly pushy flow through the tight, rocky stream bed. There are some fairly tight turns and some of them are right after drops. Someone else may have more to add.

During the releases free shuttle buses are provided by the NOC and others because there is very little parking at or near the put in. You could drop off your cat at the put in then drive back down and ride up on a shuttle bus. It’s a short drive.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart