Team Pyranha went to the DR…

Home Forums General Discussion Team Pyranha went to the DR…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Levi Rhodes
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 125

And we should too!

On Freddie’s behalf, I’d like to share a video of some class 3-4 whitewater in the Dominican Republic produced by a few southeastern boaters.. They visited our friend Freddie and spent some time exploring some of the wild rivers in his area.  Freddie has been telling us MWA folk for a while now that we need to get down there and relax for a bit, and I see no reason why we don’t.  I often hear Midwestern paddlers say that they can’t make a trip like that happen, yet some of us are able to pull off Grand Canyon trips or similar. The DR is a very doable thing. Yes flying can be expensive, but it’s not too bad if you book far enough in advance. On top of that, living is very inexpensive there.

The purpose of this post is to raise awareness of how much easier it may be to get down there than we may think… and perhaps much more worth it.  I’ve been inspired… anybody want to go on an adventure?  Gina and I are looking at dates…

Get out there!

Link: https://youtu.be/dw2sJS5Mpyc

ScottO
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 55

Great looking video. I’d love to go. I can get the time off pretty easily. Do you know if you can check the boats on the flight and how much that will cost.

Levi Rhodes
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 125

Scott,

Flying with a boat has always been a pretty costly problem for travelers in the past. However, some airlines have been accepting boats for as little as  $75 down to Chile (I would assume one way). I will have to look into that a bit more…

Freddie Carter
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 222

Team Pyranha flew Southwest to Punta Cana and paid $75 each way for Creek Boats. Not all the boats went home. I will buy your Big person creekers, so you only have to fly em here ! I do not want to mislead anyone, that section has some solid Class V in it. There is plenty more Class III- IV Though. I cannot see the video from the link ….. This board is just not video or photo friendly for me !

Raymond
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 56

I paddled with Smokin’ Steve Krajewski a few weeks ago and we shared some Freddie Carter stories 🙂 He was grateful for the help you gave them guys. I need to get off my arse and head down there next winter.

Miss ya big guy,

Raymond

Freddie Carter
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 222

Raymond, you are more than welcome anytime. By next winter, I should have 4 boats here. MEGA, Burn III, an Aire Outfitter IK1, and hopefully a Flying Squirrel. Those Team Pyranha folks are top O the line paddlers and people !

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart