Rescue on the Saint

Home Forums General Discussion Rescue on the Saint

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      cataraftcoop
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 85

I heard there was a foot entrapment at Cats Paw today, an that Bill Parson was there to use his SWR training.  From what I’ve  heard it was a serious problem.   Kudos to Bill, proud of him, that’s why if you boat the river you need safety skills, just a reminder  there are a lot of classes being taught.  If you need a class let me know I’ll get you in contact with a instructor.

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 113

Bill Parson and Sarah Wysong did a great job helping the paddler.  While I’ve taken the class, it always makes me feel good knowing I’m paddling with others that can help me and others.

Chris Kelly
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 10

First, props to those who were prepared to do the rescue.

I would like to know more; not the identity of the person, but exactly where, and I mean exactly?  What led to it? Was the person’s head under?  How did the rescuers get to him/her? How did he come to swim?  What actions were taken?  Was it life threatening?

An actual accident report can be helpful in the future.

Also, from the perspective of the rescuers, what could have been  better and how experienced was the person being rescued?

Thank you,

Chris Kelly

Scott
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 19

Way to go Bill and Sarah!!!

CoMoBill
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8

Behind the first Z route eddie and to the right of the top of the straight route.

Cause :

Washed out of the first Z route eddie into sieve.

I don’t think her head was ever under water. She was facing down river.  Her left leg was deeply submerged in the sieve, almost to the hip. Her right foot was on the boulder creating the top of the sieve. Her left arm was resting on her boat, giving her buoyancy and blocking the worst of the sieve.

I was on river left in the sallow eddie just below Z route watching Scott run Z. When working  my way  down to the bottom I heard  a single  whistle blast. It was the House sisters, they had spotted the lady in trouble. They were  working there way to her while several  other boaters  and I worked across the river to her side. We climbed up to her area, there several ropes. I had on a live bait tether, I clipped on to a rope. I hoped into the water and grabbed the straps on her pfd I  pulled her straight back making sure her leg wasn’t in bind while the House sisters and others pulled  us out.  It was very steep and slick.

I don’t think she would have ever self rescued, as she was doing  well to maintain the  position she was in. Things certainly could have been worse if her boat wasn’t blocking the biggest area of the sieve. Thanks to other observant boaters and plentiful other helpers things worked out great.

So we grabbed her boat, and she successfully ran Z route.

That is a one boat eddie.

CoMo

CJW4D
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 313

Well done!

Jason Robinson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 88

Great Job Bill, Sarah, and everyone else who helped.  Glad we have a great group of boaters that always look out for each other.

Chris Kelly
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 10

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Well done is right!  And we’ll done report too.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: center;”>That is the second pin that I know about in that spot; there may have been more.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: center;”>It probably means that when new paddlers are running CP it is worthwhile to have someone on the middle Boulder.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: center;”>thanks for that excellent report.</p>
      <p style=”text-align: center;”>Chris Kelly</p>
      <p style=”text-align: center;”></p>
      <p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

Casey House
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 15

The report given is accurate.

Maggie and I were lucky to be where we were at the time of the rescue. We were out of our boats to look at Cats Paw, not for any real good reason except that we had the time to stop and enjoy it.

Coincidentally, as we were watching Sarah eddy out in the micro eddy to do the Z route, I mentioned to Maggie that the most dangerous undercut on the river was that big rock behind the right slot. Just after that the rescued paddler attempted to eddy out with Sarah and flipped over. The rescued paddler was pushed into the rock that separates the stream and down the right slot towards the undercut. I blew my whistle as she went out of view upside down and then heard Sarah yell “HANG ON!!”. At that point, Maggie and I started running across the rocks.

She was pinned exactly as described; face up, one leg up on the rock and the other underneath the rock, her left hand on the boat keeping her out of the water, and her right hand bracing against very slick rock. She was stable, but as stated, not able to self rescue.

As Maggie and I got to her, two other men arrived at the same time. Maggie set an anchor with her flip line and Bill clipped in with his rescue PFD to his quick release ring. He, another man, Maggie, and I pulled her up and out of the water first and then her kayak.

After making sure that everyone involved was okay and sound, we all went back to our boats and continued down stream. Everyone involved with the rescue acted quickly, efficiently, and calmly. It was great to have Bill, Sarah, and the other guy whose name I did not catch be quick on their feet.

I can not express how grateful I am for the swift water safety course that I took from Dale Dortch a few years ago as well as being with knowledgeable paddlers on the Saint, or any river for that matter. I highly recommend a swift water safety course and always paddling with people you trust and can count on.

SYOTR,
      Casey House

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Casey House.
      glo
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 15

It was me that  was rescued. f ( first time ive been on the message board sense then.) I didn’t get in the z route eddy. I slipped backwards then sideways on the rock behind the eddy. I leaned down river tword the rock I was against but still flipped. Once against the undercut rock I  tried pushing myself back  probally 4  times and couldn’t do it. The first   attempt  I didn’t realize it was an under cut.  I now think it was a  very  unwise  decidtion of me  to even     keep trying to get myself out once I realize it was about a 45 degree  angle undercut rock I was against.  I quit trying after  4 tries and yelled that I need help . I didn’t know for certain but I felt like if my feet would slip  and went against the rock, which would have put my body  at 45 degree angle I did not think I could have stayed above water or got out being at that steep angle.  As I could not even push my self out being straight up .I then put my right foot up on the rock as my legs are much stronger then my arms. Once I did that I felt very comfortable safe  and secure to just hangout intell help came. I was lucky to be paddling with a lot of people that day. I actually was very calm intell  they pulled me out and I thought about what if this had happened on a day I was paddling alone and no one was paddling  on the river for most the day .As happens a lot on week days.    Then   It was kind of freaky to me and I felt like it could have been a very bad outcome if not for the people that were there and pulled me out. I thanked you all then, but I want to give you all another BIG THANK YOU  !

jacobsviper
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 418

Just glad ur ok and hope to seeya on the river again 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart