Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230
      Dean Zeisset
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 27

Define light to moderate whitewater.  What rivers are you thinking?  Also depends  how much you plan to load it.  Casual day of fishing and floating ?….two person overnighter?……or strictly whitewater?  It only has 1.25″ of rocker.  That’s not a lot.

Dean

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Dean Zeisset.
      • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Dean Zeisset.
      George
      Participant

Upper Saint/Big Creek. Class two/three. Id like something large enough for tandem but small enough if I want to do solo. I hope my ignorance isnt too blinding.

canoe41
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 15

I think it could likely handle class II water but class III may be pushing it.  An older Dagger Caption sounds like what you may be looking for.

Dean Zeisset
      Participant

Dagger Caption would be nice, if you can find one.  Although it’s not a small solo boat at 14′.  Some have a triple saddle system where you can seat two or one.  The Mad River boat you posted had recreational seats.  You can outfit a rec boat but it’s not worth it unless you plan on doing expedition style trips in whitewater. I’d try a couple out before you commit to the dark side.

Dean

George
      Participant

Would you define expedition style trips as overnighters or weekenders? Im not really too interested in surfing and playing around. I expect something like the mad river above to take on water, but I figure with enough flotation and skill development, class III would eventually become manageable.

Dennis Jones
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 45

Michelle and I have a Mad River Cascade that is perfect for what you are looking to do. You would be welcome to borrow it to see what you think. It is not as fast as a flat water canoe but is very maneuverable.

Dean Zeisset
      Participant

I have a 16′ Nova Craft Prospector.  I spent a lot of time and $ outfitting it and had it on whitewater twice, if that tells you anything.  And the prospector is one of the more whitewater friendly rec boat designs.  Rec boats take on too much water.  Even with floatation, it’s almost impossible to negotiate a rapid with the weight of two people and the water you take on, no matter how skilled you are.  Look at a tandem whitewater canoe.  They are heavily rockered, and the seats are close to the middle.  Both for turning purposes.  My advice is to get a whitewater specific boat if you plan on doing whitewater with it at all.  You can always paddle it on flat water too.  Not so much the other way around.

Dean

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart