Pickle Creek

Home Forums General Discussion Pickle Creek

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dean Zeisset
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 27

Finally got a chance to catch Pickle Creek today.  Ben nagged me enough this morning and off we went.  It was at least 6″ above the bridge.  All I can say is WOW!  No joke in an open boat.  Lotsa wood + lotsa willows + lotsa rocks + lotsa drops + lotsa water = lotsa excitement + lotsa fun!

Dean

George
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 230

The log jams Ive seen on hikes spook me out. Were they easily managed?

Dean Zeisset
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 27

There was one tree completely across the river, about 4′ in diameter.  The water was pooled in front of it, so it was easy to portage around.  There were no other log jams, really.  But there were a lot of trees and wood scattered throughout the run.  I got pinned ,briefly, on a small submerged tree in a swift shallow spot.  I was avoiding a rock and was already leaned downstream………so I had that going for me!!  If there was a blind corner, no eddie downstream in sight and swift current, we stopped and scouted.  Gotta be the most exciting run I’ve done in Missouri.  And I hear ya……I’ve hiked that trail and thought to myself, “I can’t imagine what this would look like with a lot of water in it.”  The gorge section is technical, steep (126 fpm), fast and not without consequence.  It earns its class IV rating.  I’m told it’s good in the winter/early spring.  Not as much foliage in the way.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Dean Zeisset.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart