Paddlers' Playdate-It takes a village

Home Forums General Discussion Paddlers' Playdate-It takes a village

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Jo Newbold
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 58

A few weeks ago a friend of mine expressed the need to paddle but the challenges of parenthood were overwhelming.  She is not the only one out there who NEEDS to paddle.  She is not the only one out there whose family took priority over paddling.    I see the need for organized whitewater meet times at the Saint for half the parents to run the Upper then the other half the run the Lower.

Entertaining the kids in this environment is easy, but parents need to make sure lunches and toys are packed.  As a matter of fact some of the kids may be ready to learn the sport.  I am looking for 4-6 kid sized ww boats. We can start them out at Creve Coeur Lake to spike their enthusiasm.  We can move them over to Greentree as they become ready for moving water.   We can take them down the Saint Francis…then the Nantahala..then the Ocoee….then…

If you would like to gather as parents and share the love of paddling with the responsibilities of child rearing please respond to this post and click the “notify” button.  That will keep all Villagers in the loop with the other Villagers.  Please continue responding to this post to keep it alive and to keep the notifying link valid.

JoJo

314-49-triple7-49

• This topic was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Jo Newbold.
      Curtis Elwood
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 53

In.

Jo Newbold
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 58

Awesome!!!

Casara Heaton
      • Preferred Boat: Kayak
      • Years Paddling: 15
      • Total Posts: 139

So excited about this I am IN! My son is about to turn 4 – would love to be able to bring him with me to the river on nice days.

John Foster
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 24

In

Bill Fordyce
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 33

This is a real nice thing to do—and needed.

Good job Jojo.

Rebecca Elwood
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2

Myself and Kassie are planning on getting back on water this weekend, but we are starting off with flat water.  The plan is to paddle the Meramec from Pacific Palisades to Huntersford, Sat. at 10 am.  Anyone wanting to join is welcome, just let me know your interested.  The fellas have other obligations, so they won’t be hanging at the take out with the kiddos, but hopefully we can get that village built for some paddling on the Saint this spring!

Kathleen (Kassie) Chaffee
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3

I am picking up Sally in the morning!  Very excited.  Where do you want to meet?  I see a Pilot Travel Center near Pacific Palisades Conservation Area if that would work.

Participant

I just noticed that the take out is probably a better place to meet.  The Allenton Access site looks easy enough to find.

Rebecca Elwood
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2

Allenton access it is!

Participant

See you at 10 am!

Regina Cleary
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1

Me and the kids are in. Joe is excited to get back on water!

Casara Heaton
      • Preferred Boat: Kayak
      • Years Paddling: 15
      • Total Posts: 139

Ok – Let’s do this!
      This weekend, it will be warm and the river should still be up.
      I got my kiddo. Who’s in?

Curtis Elwood
      Participant

Rebecca, Leland, Dave, and I will be at D bridge Sunday around 11.  Rebecca will do the upper while I watch Leland and then I plan to run the lower.

Sarah Watson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 120

I’m planning on meeting you at D at 11.

Sarah

Curtis Elwood
      Participant

Rebecca and I will be at D bridge Saturday at 10.  She’ll boat first and I’ll do an afternoon run, leaving D around 1 to head up to Millstream.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart