Memorial Day – Southeast Beginner Trip (5/25-5/28)

Home Forums General Discussion Memorial Day – Southeast Beginner Trip (5/25-5/28)

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Jason Robinson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 88

I decided to volunteer for leading the Southeast Beginner Trip – Memorial Day Weekend.

Will try to keep it to the easier rivers so we can accommodate new boaters who have just taken the clinic in April.

I will take all the safety boaters / suggestions I can get, and hopefully there will be enough to take intermediate boaters on more challenging rivers.

We have reservations at NOC bunkhouses for 3 – 4 person bunks, and 1 – 2 person bunk.  If we do not fill all those spots (payment received) before <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>May 11</span>, we will turn them back into NOC.  I will personally not be staying at NOC, but at a nearby Cabin for family vacation.

Typical Rivers that we’ve done on this trip in the past:

Tuckaseegee, Nantahala, French Broad, Pigeon, Chattooga, Ocoee (by order of difficulty, in my opinion).

I propose that the official MWA Trip will end Sunday night / Monday AM, and people are welcome to make their own plans / groups for Monday.   Typically, people boat the Ocoee on the way home, but it is not recommended for beginners.

This is an excellent trip to practice new skills learned at MWA Clinic, and I have personally attended the trip the last ~5-6 years.  It’s always a blast!

More details to follow soon, let me know if there are any questions.

Jason

Jason Robinson
      Participant

BUMP

Hopefully we will get a link up on MWA Shop to reserve bunks soon.

Cost will be $25 / person / night

Chris Gaines
      • Total Posts: 8

I have a small group going that will be rafting. We have 3 bunks available if anyone is interested.

Jason Robinson
      Participant

Thanks Cassara for creating online ordering for bunks.

Only 2 weeks left to reserve your spot, and then we will need to release any unused bunks back to NOC for rental.

Link to MWA shop for odering your bunk:

https://missouriwhitewater.org/product/southeast-trip-bunk-reservation/

Or I suppose you can mail payment to MWA Treasurer:

Missouri Whitewater Association
      PO Box 300099
      Saint Louis, MO 63130

Jason Robinson
      Participant

BUMP.

Haven’t heard of any NOC bunks being reserved.  Need to let them know if we are using them or not by Friday.

Go to online shop for easiest way to reserve your spot.

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 113

I’m planning on going Thurs – leave Monday and will make bunk reservation at NOC. Hope there is more coming. Kathy P

Jason Robinson
      Participant

Everyone,

Cassara has set-up an email address that mirror to my personal email address:  tripleader@missouriwhitewater.org

Send me a msg if there are any questions and you can reserve bunks for Fri-Sun on MWA store page by THIS FRIDAY.

So far, I  have:

Trucker Joe

Kathy P.

Eric Anderson And Claire (Seperate Lodging)

Chris Gaines – Not sure your plans?  Seperate lodging, rafting which rivers?

Nate Eades – looking to catch a ride to NOC from Chattanooga

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant

I booked a bed at the Smokey Mt hostel

in Bryson City for $28/ nite through Air B &B. Clean, linens, clean kitchen, free breakfast. I’m driving down Thursday , hoping we would have enough people to paddle Friday. I could pick up Nate if Thursday afternoon would work. 314 four 0 two 3038. Kathy

Chris Gaines

Zack and I plan to arrive around mid-day on Friday.  Perhaps make a run after arrival.

We’re staying in the bunkhouses with some other folks.  Our plan is to raft the upper and middle Ocoee on Saturday.  They will do duckies down the Nantahala on Sunday.

Zack and I might join if anyone runs the Ocoee on Monday.

We could pick up Nate sometime Friday morning.  Six three 6 2 3 six zero four 4 3

TruckerJoe
      Participant
      1. I’ll be driving down from Sandstone Minnesota. I’m planning on hitting the The Vermillion in Hastings, MN, Iowa parks in Elkader, Charles City, and Manchester. The Marge Cline Whitewater Course in Illinois. I’m looking for suggestions of play spots or no shuttle runs that aren’t too far off route. Thanks.
      Jason Robinson
      Participant

All SE Participants.

Jim Warren gave me good idea on organizing this trip.

Please email me your contact information (Cell Phone, Email, Facebook (if available)), and let me know if ok to share with the other participants.  This way everyone will have a way to contact the others if any of our plans change.  I will compile the list and send it out to everyone.

Many places around the SE rivers will not have cell service, and sometimes Facebook Messenger works better if you can get a Wifi signal (at Restaraunts / Gas Stations / Rental Cabins).

tripleader@missouriwhitewater.org

Sally Haywood
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 27

Sally Haywood & Ed Stevens just reserved a bunk at the NOC through mwa. We would be hard-pressed to take a third person with us (small cars & boat capacity) we could carpool with another person in their vehicle

Kathleen Pszonka
      Participant

I’m leaving Thursday morning, I could take one rider & boat and drop off at NOC but I’m staying at Smokey Mt Hostel in Bryson . Kathy P.

Jason Robinson
      Participant

SE Trip Participants:

I just sent email out to everyone who had previously contacted me about going on MWA SE Trip

It includes contact list, directions, Friday float plans.

Looks like several of the potential rivers have fairly high water right now, and chance of rain this weekend.

Friday plan to run the Tuckaseegee:  meet at NOC Footbridge river left (next to Big Wesser BBQ)

Before we begin, I will need everyone to fill out ACA Waiver, please have you ACA number available (or pay $5 ACA fee if you are not member).

My unofficial list looks like:
      <table width=”200″>
      <tbody>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;” width=”200″>Anderson, Eric</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Becker, Scott</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Carey, Keith</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Eades, Nate</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Gaines, Chris</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Haywood, Sally</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Marincel, Joe</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Pszonka, Kathy</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td>Robinson, Jason</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Rodgers, Jeb</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Stephens, Ed</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Tyrey, Joseph</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td style=”font-weight: 400;”>Wilson, Maureen (Walker)</td>
      </tr>
      </tbody>
      </table>
      I think trucker Joe, and Kathy P have changed plans and may not be coming.
      ADDRESS / DIRECTIONS:
      The Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC):
      13077 HWY 19 W
      Bryson City, NC 28713

From Chattanooga, TN Take I-75 North towards Cleveland, TN. Take the 1st Cleveland exit, the US 64 Bypass Exit. Go 6 miles and take the Ocoee Exit onto US 64 East towards Murphy, NC. In Murphy the road number changes to US 74. Stay on 74 East, NOC’s Nantahala Outp

Keith Carey
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5

Huge thank you to Jason for leading us newbs this year. It was an incredible follow up to the clinic and my kayaking comfort zone bookends have been moved much farther apart thanks to the support of folks like Jason, Mo, Jeb, and Nate. Looking forward to seeing you all on the river again soon!

Jason Robinson
      Participant

Thanks everyone that participated in the SE trip.  I had a great time.

It was a little difficult to manage a family vacation and MWA trip at same time, but I hope it worked out well for everyone.  Wish I could have spent some extra time at NOC hanging out with everyone.

Some good MWA friends (Sara, Bill P, Joe & Debi B., Mason & Chris G.) showed up at NOC, and we sort of had two different groups running rivers.

Our group was split with several different people attending each day:

Friday – Tuckasegee:  Dillsboro -> Barkers Creek @ 2300 CFS

Fun little start to the weekend.  This is considered a pretty easy ClassII run, but there were a couple class III rapids, and with the higher than normal water, the rapids were a little more pushy.

Saturday – Nantahala:  Patton’s Run -> NOC @ 775 CFS (Normal Flow)

Rain was forecasted, but we managed to time our descent pretty well and had a mostly sunny day.  Eric’s girlfriend Claire came along for her maiden white water voyage, and although she had a couple swims had a great time and ready to try some more.

Sunday – Pigeon:  Walter’s Powerhouse -> Hartford @ 2300 CFS

Only had a few sprinkles, and the water seemed a little bigger than the last few times I ran it.  More diagonal reactionary waves were a little pushy, but most of the rapids actually seemed slightly easier with the extra water.  Nate did awesome job leading the group down and avoiding the most precarious holes.

Monday –

A few people ran the Ocoee, but I got tired and couldn’t talk Jace into running the Slice with me, so we decided to just get an early start on the way home, and sleep in our own beds.

SYOTR!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart