Hydroskin Question

Home Forums General Discussion Hydroskin Question

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve Stilwell
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 87

If I need something under a dry top or dry suit I wear polypro. Under Armor or heavier Chili’s for more warmth. Or fleece when it’s really cold. Otherwise just paddling shorts and a polypro shirt. So, I have no personal experience with any Hydroskin garments.

I got my wife a dry top, but other than a wet suit, she does not have anything for bottoms. To those who wear hydroskin pants, if you swim or in the water, are they better than wet suits when wearing a dry top? Do they dry quickly in your boat covered by a skirt? I don’t think she would want to wear a wet suit under the dry top because from personal experience, once submerged you are permanently wet under the dry top.

I know Hydroskin is available in  various thicknesses. Any feedback would be helpful. If I get something ordered for her soon, we can still get it before the clinic.

She does not get along well with cold weather, much less swimming in cold water if it’s less than 90 degree air temp.

Stephen Sheridan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 19

http://www.kayakshed.com/kokatat/kokatat-tropos-whirlpool-bib

this might be a little expensive, but the bibs are far superior to any kind of neoprene, with a dry top forms a drysuit equivalent, look around to see if you can find a kayak shed discount code or if they are cheaper somewhere else online, i swam in these and a dry top on the nantahala my first year at gaf and I was bone dry, makes the learning to kayak experience way better, 8 years later my bibs are still in great shape (good investment), as long as you don’t go bushwhacking in them they will last a while, they mate with the dry top really well and take a little longer to put on then a drysuit

not a huge fan of dry pants (really should be called wet pants),

as far as neoprene pants go, the thickness of the neoprene will mean more warmth, whether its hydroskin brand or not go for thicker neoprene, i have the .5mm hydroskin pants that i wear in in more moderate temps, they are comfortable but i have never been impressed with the amount of warmth they provide in a swim situation

Freddie Carter
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 222

I have used Hydroskin since it came out. I have shorts, Long sleeve tops, a SS top, and Long Pants. It really is not so good for cold water swims ! Not that it does’nt happen, but when it is really cold out, I make good efforts not to swim. Buttt, it is absolutely perfect for under a dry top ! It does not dry well, (rapidly). Here in the tropics I use it for chillier days vs Hydrosilk. In the US I normally wear it under my dry top(excellent for use with dry tops or suits) or for summer Ocoee or Tellico runs by itself. It is flexible, and comfortable, but not windproof. Not sure why I love it soo much with all the drawbacks I mentioned. If swims are an issue, especially in cold water, Hydroskin is not your best option,by itself, although I love the product ! Hydrosilk also. I have 3 pair of Level 6 Pro Guide shorts, that Paul Kuthe turned me on to out in Oregon. They have .5 mm neoprene liner and are the Bomb! Truly love them… (Though they would not be an option for your situation Mr Stilwell !) To sum it up, it is the perfect choice for under a Dry top or Dry Suit from my experience.

Curtis Elwood
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 53

I like Hydroskin pants for those borderline days.  The ones where it’s sunny and air temp is reasonably warm but water is still cold or water is warmer but it’s overcast/rainy.  It keeps the legs warm/protected from cold water sloshing around in your boat.  I like it in places like Colorado or those early Spring days on the Saint.  If swimming is a real probability and/or the water is very cold, I’d stick with the drysuit or a wetsuit.  While lighter and more flexible than a wetsuit, it still behaves like one (water gets trapped against the skin and acts as an insulator as it warms up).  A small change of a swim and cool but not freezing water is there the bottoms shine.   I don’t have any experience with the tops.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart