GAF Planning (FINAL?)

Home Forums General Discussion GAF Planning (FINAL?)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jw
      • Total Posts: 679

If  you are going to GAF & not staying in the bunks, let me know (if you haven’t already).  In the NOC Basecamp bunks we have:  Tansil party, Urbas party, DaggerDan, and Warren party.

Camping I know we have McHenrys, Mandls, Joe Marincel.  Anyone else?

I think I have everyone’s email & cell.  But anyone else can contact me at membership@misssouriwhitewater.org or cell 3one4 58three 798one.

THURSDAY: if anyone is down early,  the info on the Pigeon says NO release on Thursday or Friday – there is a website that shows it 3 days out.

FRIDAY:  WE ARE HEADED TO THE FRENCH BROAD.  MEET AT STACKHOUSE TAKEOUT AT 10:00 AM EDT FRIDAY.

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1074/#main

The French Broad is running (1280 cfs now, WED PM), and it will hold up to the end of the week.  We did it on Friday at GAF a few years ago at a low level (900 or so – 700 is minimum from Barnard to Stackhouse; 1200 Stackhouse to Hot Springs), and it was really a great run (I like low water).  We have a group of 4+ paddlers.

Hot Springs is 2 hours from NOC.  Some of us are lodging at NOC, so it’s possible to drive over.  Alternative would be to lodge in Hot Springs (Laughing Heart Lodge has bunks similar to NOC for AT hikers, boaters, plus there is camping in Hot Springs too).  If we have a group that wants to do the FB, I’m willing to switch over to Laughing Heart Lodge for Thu pm, as we are driving that day, and it’s about the same distance from St. Louis.

The Nolichucky was just looking too low, darn it.

Some of the group is going to be paddling the Nantahala, so look for them there.

The Telico is still too low, and no rain in the forecast (between hurricanes).    If not the French Broad or Nolichucky, then the Lower Nantahala is the normal fallback.

Asheville for late lunch works for either destination.

SATURDAY:  Normally we run the Upper Nantahala Saturday am, early (first few buses), and then either run it again, or the Lower, or call it a day.

SUNDAY: Planning on the Ocoee.  The official TVA release schedule shows a normal 8 hour release 9 am-5 pm for Sunday 24 Sept.  https://www.tva.gov/file_source/TVA/Site%20Content/Environment/Lake%20Levels/Recreation%20Schedules/Ocoee%202%20Recreation%20Release%20Calendar.pdf

See you in NC!

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by jw.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by jw.
      DaggerDan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 413

I’ve never done French Broad but would love to do something new. I’ll be getting to the NOC Friday morning hopefully about 9am. Matt Bliss is going too but staying in a cabin somewhere close. Him and I are planning on doing the Cascades for the first time Saturday. Anyone else up for that?

jw
      • Total Posts: 679

That’s two!  If we do the French Broad Friday, you’ll want to go straight there via Knoxville, vs. NOC first, saving 2 hours of driving.

Some in the group have the skills for the Cascades; I’ll watch from the road, thank you!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by jw.
      Sara Wysong
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 67

I am still in Sylva, NC about 40 minutes from NOC. I’m currently switching from a night shift life to a day shift life. If I am able to get my sleep right I will meet you at the FB9 put in otherwise I will see everyone at the NOC!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart