GAF Friday paddling?

Home Forums General Discussion GAF Friday paddling?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jw
      • Total Posts: 679

9/22 update – nothing happening at any of the rivers down there –  Tellico, French Broad, Nolichucky – all too low, and nothing coming.  See you at the Nanty for a warmup paddle Friday.

For any of ya’ll going to GAF, including those not staying in the bunkhouse – any thought about going early & paddling on Friday?  In the past few years we’ve been able to paddle the Nolichucky & the French Broad.  Both were low water runs, but both were great – sort of like the Saint under 6″, but still plenty of action (and also different from the Saint).

At the moment, both rivers are way too low, but there is always a chance of more precip.  (FB is within the “ELF” Extreme Low Flow” range at the moment…)  http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1074/

Another alternative is running the Lower Nantahala on Friday.  That would make a good “warm-up” for anyone wanting to run the Upper Nanty on Saturday.  In the last few years they’ve had higher flows for the Upper on Sunday.

Flexibility is the key.

Post yer intent.

– jw

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by jw.
      Pam Huddleston
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6

Rob and I will be arriving Thursday evening and plan on paddling the lower Nantahala on Friday, would love to hook up with other MWA paddlers if we can.  We are camping at Smoky Mountain Meadows.

DaggerDan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 413

Jason and I will be leaving Jackson Mo Thurs morning and Id would like to fit in a lower run Friday before a first time on the upper. Were stayin in the noc bunks

Matt Bliss
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 33

I’ll be camping at Lost Mine Thursday night. Planning a couple laps on the lower, Friday.

bobh
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 34

Shirtdana (remember him Jim?) and I will arrive at NOC as early as possible Friday and just paddle the lower Nanty that day. See you all there.

jw

Shirtdana makes his own rules!  Sounds like the Nanty is the Friday paddle of choice.  See you there Friday.  I’ll either be in at a nice leisurely time Thu pm or really late…

I plan to breakfast at Rivers Edge on Friday morning (and every morning), before the river is turned on, so we can meet up there.  Or look for the Missouri/Illinois plates in the put-in parking lot!  I’m driving a red Mazda 5, with a red Dancer on top.

Just in case they get some rain down there, watch this space to see if there are other Friday options…  Always hoping…

SYOTRINC!

jw

9/22 update – nothing happening at any of the rivers down there –  Tellico, French Broad, Nolichucky – all too low, and nothing coming.  See you at the Nanty for a warmup paddle Friday.

by the way, are any of you folks staying at NOC bunkhouses Thursday night?  If so, any empty bunks available?  Apparently they no longer book individual bunks, only rooms.  policy changed 1 May…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by jw.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart