Ed

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Warren
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 21

Hello:

Hope my Missouri friends are doing well.  When you have time please Google “Ed Conning”.  Ed is an old paddling buddy from my younger days.  He drown on Rock Creek near Red Lodge, MT last weekend.  Ed was one of the best kayakers I ever knew and a wonderful guy.  He lived in Cody, WY and the Shoshoni River below Buffalo Bill Dam was his backyard run.  He paddled everything around the Beartooth Mountains region including “The Box” section of the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone, maybe the hardest water in the west.  He loved teaching new paddlers, slalom racing, and dancing with his wife.  I had not seen him in years, but wish I found the time now.   He got pinned in a strainer and the thought of his struggle to get his head to the surface has got me all tore up.

Although the region has lots of water, Rock Creek was not particularly high.  Wood had been a problem and they scouted.  Ed had made the run many times.  The other paddlers reacted quickly too.  I think that the articles you find about the incident are accurate.

So, please read about my friend.  Be safe out there.  Thank you.

Mike Warren

John Tansil
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 206

Mike –

So sorry about your friend. You have my sympathy. It’s always hard to lose a paddling friend.  Wish I could be with you to talk about the adventures you two had together!

-JohnT

mtlein71
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 104

Hey Mike,

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Ed. Looks like he lived life to the fullest!  My thoughts and prayers are with you buddy.

CT Mike

“Wild Bill” Miles
      Participant
      • Preferred Boat: Canoe
      • Years Paddling: 30
      • Total Posts: 50

It is always sad to hear about a boater lost to the river gods!!!  If you are going to go at least he was doing something he loved!!!  Mike, sorry for your loss!!  Always, a reminder that there are dangers in our sport!  Paddle safe!!!

DaggerDan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 413
      Bill rincker
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 13

I just saw this post. I have paddled with Ed many times on the Shoshone and other creeks in the Area. He will be missed dearly. Great guy.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart