Colorado whitewater

Home Forums General Discussion Colorado whitewater

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      TJ Hittle
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2

Hi all,

Long time, no see.   Many of you know I’ve been living in Salida, CO for a few years now. Of course, I started paddling here in 1982.  I suffer from outdoors overload continually.  You probably know the issues: skiing, paddling, snowshoeing, fishing, hiking, the whole year around sports deal.  Short story is that the snowpack reports for our beloved Arkansas watershed are off the charts now, sitting at 130% of normal snowpack.  Another 8″ due tomorrow.  It’s been pretty chilly too this spring.

So what does that mean.  The season on the Ark should be pretty long with plenty of flow most of the summer.  We also have several reservoirs upstream that can contain some of this to help even out the flows.  Novice boaters may think that the only thing we have is Class IV.  Not true!  We have the whole range from Class II runs all the way up on the Ark.  The Banks & Eckhardt book skips the good easy training runs.  I also have a short little flyer that I can send you for some easy runs.  Of course, there are a ton of great Intermediate-Expert runs around here and that includes nearby rivers like the Taylor, Lake Fork of the Gunnsion, the Gunnison, etc.

For play parks followers, there are 2 super nice parks around Salida and Buena Vista.  This is not to mention plenty of cheap camping, a ton of micro-breweries, hot springs, etc.  It’s a tough life here.  😉

Of course you could also consider the Colorado loop, beginning with the Poudre, Eagle, Colorado, Crystal, Roaring Fork, and on and on.  Don’t forget the FIBARK festival, June 17-21.  I have been a rescue boater for a few years and could always use some help.  Or just hang out and enjoy the music, paddling events, and fun.

Hope to see you this summer.

Adios and Paddlingly yours,

TJ Hittle

• This topic was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by TJ Hittle. Reason: Misspelling
      Freddie Carter
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 222

TJ, long time no see ! Have a fun summer … Will miss FiBark again this year. I am retired and paddling year round in the Dominican Republic. I will be in the US during June, but will be there celebrating my Mommas 91st, and putting the remainder of my schtuff that is stored at her house, in a storage unit. Couple of kayaks, kitchen stuff, camping gear, mountain bike …. Should get rid of it all, just not ready yet. Paying $500 a year will cure me of the hoarding quickly. Again, have a fun summer. Chuck and Di have been talking doing the “Circuit” Lotta fun paddling, but never staying in the same place 2 nights getz sorta tough ! Freddie

Trent
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 17

TJ, What is your opinion of this years water situation the first part of July?  I will have time to burn then,

TJ Hittle
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2

Trent,

By early July, we should be through peak water. Flows will be a lot more friendly by then. There will be tons of stuff to run out here. The weather will be utopian by then too. Kinda chilly around here right now. Early July is an excellent time of year to paddle but still get some fairly big water.
      TJ

Trent
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 17

TJ, Thanks for the info. As we get closer if it looks like i can make it i will look you up. Thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart