Jan. 31st deadline: Silver Mines Water: Call, Write and Post asap!

Home Forums General Discussion Jan. 31st deadline: Silver Mines Water: Call, Write and Post asap!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      TakeAHike
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 170

I just found this info on the Mark Twain National Forest’s website:

NO MATTER WHAT, WE ALL NEED TO CONTACT THE FOREST SERVICE! THEY WANT SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO RECONNECT THE WATER AND THAT WE NEED POTABLE WATER IN ALL UPPER CAMPGROUNDS AT SILVER MINES!

The potable waterline at Silver Mines Recreation Area began to leak in 2014, which has since disrupted water service to Prospect and Summit campground loops on the north side of the St. Francis River. It took some time to determine the exact location of the leak, but exploratory work found there is a series of pipe segments connected together under the St. Francis River. The problem is at least one of the seven or eight seam connections is leaking.

Due to the costliness of such a repair and the lack of accessibility to the waterline section under the river, the Forest Service is exploring all engineering and funding options to restore water service to all campground loops at Silver Mines. We think the most cost effective option is to reroute the waterline across the downstream side of the decommissioned Highway D Bridge located within the Silver Mines Recreation Area. Attaching it to this existing structure, now used as a footbridge, will allow the waterline to ford the river where it will be accessible for safe operation and maintenance into the future.

When planning projects on Mark Twain National Forest, public input on the proposal is always sought. By doing this, we can be confident all ideas and concerns have been considered and the best option is ultimately implemented. A running list of projects that are in the planning stages is maintained on the Mark Twain National Forest website to ensure everyone is aware of the activities being considered.

I invite you to share any comments or ideas you may have about the Silver Mines waterline repair project. We will use the information you provide to improve the current project plans. Comments via phone calls, emails, or Facebook provided by January 31, 2017 will be most useful.
      Previous Alan P post:

By the way…  The Forest Service, Potosi Office, is soliciting comments about whether to repair/restore potable water lines to the campgrounds at Silver Mines.
      They would like the public to comment. Tell them you want water!
      phone calls (573) 438-5427 to the USFS Potosi Office
      and

email: Becky Ewing rewing@fs.fed.us and copy Mark Twain Forest Supervisor Sherri Schwenke, sschwenke@fs.fed.us
      and

comments to their Facebook page
      and

Write:
      Potosi/Fredericktown Ranger District
      District Ranger Becky Ewing
      Address:
      10019 West State Highway 8
      Potosi, MO 63664

Phone: (573) 438-5427
      FAX: (573) 438-2633

Alan Peterson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 42

Thanks for the help.  I tried to find a place to comment on their Facebook page, but couldn’t find an easy way to comment.  I sent an email to Supervisor Schwenke, asking them to post Facebook story where the public can add comments, but I don’t know if they will.  I suspect the best way to have your voice heard is to call or send an email to Supervisor Schwenke and/or Becky Ewing.

Thanks again.

Also, any help we can get to request from the same Forest Service people to repair the dam at Crane Lake would be appreciated.

TakeAHike
      Participant

SEE UPDATED INFO ABOVE!

TakeAHike
      Participant

Here’s the actual facebook page to make your comment:  https://www.facebook.com/MarkTwainNationalForest/photos/pb.316286128759582.-2207520000.1484585162./457954861259374/?type=3&theater

They are asking for input on the repair. Do we have any engineers out their with some great ideas?

Alan Peterson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 42

I just got this, and posted my comment:

Hello Mr. Peterson,

If you visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/MarkTwainNationalForest/ there is a story posted up about Silver Mines now. Apologies for the delay in getting this up on our social media account.

Sincerely,

Forest Service Shield
      Cody Norris
      Public Affairs Officer
      Forest Service
      Mark Twain National Forest
      p: 573-341-7405
      csnorris@fs.fed.us
      401 Fairgrounds
      Rolla, MO 65401
      http://www.fs.fed.us
      USDA LogoForest Service TwitterUSDA Facebook
      Caring for the land and serving people

jw
      • Total Posts: 679

FYI – I picked up a letter from the MWA Post Office Box today about this water line repair.  It was from Rebecca Ewing, the Forest Service District Ranger.

Included in the letter is a map of the repair, and the letter includes some project details which I didn’t see or overlooked in the other communication.

The project will install a new waterline from the pump station (the little boxy building you see on the right hand side of the road, heading south, just before you cross the Saint on the D-bridge), through the woods, along the road, over the old low-water bridge (on the downstream side), across the field to part of the existing line.  “An area approximately 6 feet by 1,700 feet [the length of the replacement line] may be cleared of trees.”  That length will then be trenched for the new waterline.  Obviously, that whole length of the line does not have trees, but there may be some trees cleared.

Hopefully installation of the waterline onto the D-bridge won’t interfere with the bridge gage.

Although the project is intended to restore safe, potable water to the Riverside, Summit, and Prospect campground loops, there isn’t any discussion of the waterline up to Summit & Prospect.  Hopefully it is fine as is.  I guess we’ll see.

So hopefully this project will be successful, and restore that water.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart