Big Drop rock underwater

Home Forums General Discussion Big Drop rock underwater

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      jacobsviper
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 418

So as you all know I’m still learning to paddle! I’m getting better I think but if someone would remove that darn rock under big drop that I hit every time i flip over  i would appreciate it lmao

jacobsviper
      Participant

Ok so after reviewing the film, will somone please remove 2 of those rocks under there 🙂

Freddie Carter
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 222

Itz a booger !

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Freddie Carter. Reason: Life
        jacobsviper
        Participant

Lol oh i know kayakcono it is but hey Thats why we where helmets 🙂

JohnKuthe…
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 291

Um, no. River modification for anyone’s personal preference is very against every ethic of paddling, IMHO.

I believe some people were arrested and prosecuted for blowing up a troublesome to rafting companies rock formation on the Salt River a while back.

Bab river karma! If you can’t handle a river the way Mother Nature presents it, stick to amusement park rides.

jacobsviper
      Participant

Geez johnkuthe it was just a joke!! I can handle anything thats thrown my way just thought it would be funny to say that sorry if I made u upset.

JohnKuthe…
        Participant

I’d prefer if you make your “jokes” a little more obvious. This is the Internet, after all. Lots of misconstruance possible here.

mtlein71
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 104

Hey Jacobsviper,

I have got that rock a couple times with my head.  The first time like in your video, I wasn’t aggressively paddling forward, before I got comfortable with the flow on that drop.  Keep your paddle in the water and not on the rocks. Ironically, you may also have been less likely to hit the rock if you would have followed the current and paddled toward it a little longer before eddying out.

Liquidlogic rules!

CT Mike

jacobsviper
        Participant

I will take your instructions to heart thankyou 🙂 always nice to hear from experience, Im getting better just screwing up a little big more here and there but if im not upside down im not trying right lol!  thanks again!

JohnKuthe…
          Participant

Never stop paddling, You have a little bit of a high brace every moment you have your paddle blade in the water./

John Tansil
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 206

JayVee just keep paddling and before long you’ll do Big Drop at a beefy level where rocks are well underwater … the video below shows paddler encounter with hole formed by the river right bedrock at Big Drop. YEE-HAA!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IYOUJbXP38

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by John Tansil.
      cataraftcoop
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 85

Don’t sweat it dude no matter how many years you’ve been boating and how good you are rocks happen.  I have a big scar on my shoulder  from that same rock from race weekend.  Just roll up and paddle on.

andykravetz
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 30

Try to get up on your brace a bit more on your right side. From the video, it appears that you aren’t going with the flow of the water as you come down the drop. On the other hand, combat rolls in front of a crowd are always good for the ego.

Andy in Peoria

Michael Dee
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 138

Sometimes it’s all about timing: from the top of the drop to the bottom you can’t get your right hand forward because your paddle keeps clanging against the rocks beside and behind you on the right. As a consequence, your weight is thrown back, and you’ve lost all leverage. At 24 seconds, you need to plant a stroke on the right side, between you and the rock at the top, shifting the boat to a slight left angle (towards the V)  so that you can keep your weight forward and plant another stroke on the right at the bottom of the drop for the bracing effect that John is describing. It’s mostly a matter of balance in your boat–in this case, the paddle position was throwing you off balance.

jacobsviper
        Participant

Thankyou very much yeah i seen that at 24 lol i was like yeah im screwed when I came off of it! Oh well we had fun and yeah i prob could have done that right stroke beside the rock and boat if i didnt have half a bottle of crown in me hehe i wanted to relax that day well that was the only time I flipped i was buzzin pretty good like I said just showing the hitting my head on those rocks 🙂

jacobsviper
      Participant

I paddle a little better then what yall seen in this video I screwed up when I kept hitting the rocks with the paddle the main thing was i was showing the rocks i hit underwater lol I know im not the greatest paddler but im learning thankyou all for your input on how to go through there and im taking everything yall say and going to apply it to my paddling thanks again 🙂

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart