A question for the experienced boaters

Home Forums General Discussion A question for the experienced boaters

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 82

What’s a relatively good water level on the St Francois for a couple of newbs to start building experience?

cataraftcoop
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 85

Here’s my opinion for what it’s worth. If your doing the upper Hwy 72 to Millstream Gardens, then 3′ or 0″ up to 12″ at D bridge. It is not recommended that you attempt to run the lower Millstream to D bridge at any level without someone who is knowledgeable of that section. If you watch the message board there are boaters that will be willing to show you the lines. Especially in the winter water is extremely cold and you will swim. Hypothermia can start in as little as 15 min from swimming in cold water.

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Thanks for the response. We were debating giving it a shot next weekend on the upper end if water levels were good.

Bill Fordyce
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 33

I agree with Gary except—I think the upper would be good from 3′-5′ on the Roselle gauge. Closer to 5′ on the upper and the rapids become easier, more straight forward. Also, like Gary implies—dress for a swim.
      Jeez, I’m becopming like Kuthe and Freddie—Giving advice from farfaraway…
      :coffee:

Freddie Carter
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 222

Bill, the only advice I have for you is to not include my name with yours or Kuthe’s…. Just what advice are you imagining I have been giving out ? You are constantly offering advice, me, not too often. Kuthe lives in St.Louis, how far away is that ?

DaggerDan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 413

I’m far from experienced but I can give you my opinion as a beginner which should help as well. I just started paddling the Saint, my first day was 11/5/14 and ran the lower with experienced boaters and I swam while practicing ferrying. I’d suggest skipping Big Drop and Cats Paw (like I did) the first time you do the lower, but I had only been in a kayak about 7 times before that day. I’ve been down the lower around 15 times since November and finally did the upper last week and would definitely recommend doing that first. Do you have wetsuits or drysuits?

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Thanks for more input! Ive got a drysuit and some polartec fleece from NRS. What do you mean by ferrying? Ive fished out of a kayak for a couple of years now so I have some flat water experience. Just a little background about myself. My wife on the hand has only been on a kayak twice maybe three times. Shes got herself a dry suit too.

DaggerDan
      Participant
      DaggerDan
      Participant

Not sure if you’ve seen this but its a great vid of the lower to give you an idea of the difficulty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj10bQrgeBE
      I haven’t found a good upper video on youtube at lower levels

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Lol. I hate to say this, but Ive lived vicariously through that video atleast 50 times over the past year. Such a good video. I think he has another one too Ive seen a few dozen times.

DaggerDan
      Participant

No harm there. I watch kayak videos more than anything else on youtube ever since I started. What kind of kayaks do you have? Do you have sprayskirts too?

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Both boats I got used and are in pretty rough shape. Dagger Outlaw and Pyrahna Sub 7. Got spray skirts for both. Have taken them out to practice rolling and on flatwater just to see what they were like. Not pretty, but from what I can tell they will do the job just fine.

JohnKuthe…
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 291

You have your roll?

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

No I do not. We went to the clinic in November, learned a few things, but didnt come out with a roll.

JohnKuthe…
        Participant

A nice safe pool with a competent instructor is the best way to learn a roll.

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Any clue what will be covered on the beginners portion at the upcoming clinic?

JohnKuthe…
        Participant

The instructors of your beginner’s clinic group will cover whatever they are requested to by the clinic group students. Beginner groups usually start out on the Upper on flatwater for basic paddling stroke practice so the instructors can get everyone warmed up and the instructors can ascertain all the students’ performance. And then they begin moving down the Upper, easy rapids, eddy turns, peelouts, ferrying.

And they build from there.

Sarah Watson
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 120

You can email the clinic director at clinicdirector@missouriwhitewater.org for questions about the clinic.  Usually the beginner’s group covers the strokes – forward, reverse, sweep, and draw; edging a kayak; catching eddies and peel outs; ferrying; and other river reading/running skills as time allows.  Looking forward to seeing you there!!  Feel free to come out and watch the races in March, or better yet, volunteer and meet some folks in the club!!

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Thanks for the info. We’ve been debating on the clinic. We dont have float bags yet; still working on that. Is there a youtube video of roselle to millstream? I want to get an idea what to expect.

DaggerDan
      Participant

This is the only video that Ive found from 3:00 to 3:50 that has some upper in it. Its not a good representation since water is high though. Ill take some video next time I run it and upload it. http://youtu.be/KWaKoRC24Js

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Thanks for sharing that. I didnt realize there was an entry near the dam. Do you have to enter Lake Kilarney to get there?

JohnKuthe…
        Participant

Yes, you have to gety to that putin shown at the start of that video from Lake Killarny. And that is Lower Stouts they are putting in for.

And that putin is all on private property of Camp Penual (sp?)

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Atleast I think thats the name of that town….

DaggerDan
      Participant

You’re welcome. I think Lake Killarney is considered in the town of Ironton/Arcadia and I’ve never ran Stouts creek starting at the Dam but it looks like you’d have to have a shuttle to drop you off there. I think it has to rain a decent amount to run Stouts but if it does keep an eye on this site to see if its runnable. http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/MO/

Jason Robinson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 88

Lake Kilarney is a private community lake.  It would be advisable to get permission from a local landowner before trying to put in on the lake.  In the previous mentioned video, we were lucky enough to have a fellow MWA boater with good connections.  I’ve heard of putting in upstream of lake and paddling across, but it’s quite a bit of extra work.

One more bit of advice.  The MWA is a pretty friendly lot.  If you want to paddle the Saint for your first time, I would try finding some other MWA members that would be willing to paddle down with you.  If you take a swim you will have extra help to gather your boat & gear.  Just be sure to be frank and let people know your experience so they know what they’re getting into.

If D bridge gage is above 0″, there’s a good chance someone will be boating.  Post your intent on this website and hope for some paddle partners!

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

So far, everyone has been very helpful and I am very thankful for that. It was the same way when I got into archery several years ago: didnt know a thing, but found a good group of guys that were willing to put up with a newbie and it just went from there. Im hoping the same goes for this new venture.

cataraftcoop
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 85

If you can’t afford to invest in float bags, beach balls will work just fine for easier water.  Just stuff one on each side.

George and Rhonda Palmer
      Participant

Will beach balls be sufficient for the clinic? Float bags arent much, but I got to get ready for spring turkey and all too.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart