Can someone explain what changed at the MWA pool sessions? (Not the pool class)

Home Forums General Discussion Can someone explain what changed at the MWA pool sessions? (Not the pool class)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sarah Watson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 120

So we’ve been talking about the pool session with the kids all week, they were all excited to get to boat and swim.  I basically prepped all day to get us all ready.  Upon arrival, we unloaded the van, got the kids and ourselves changed, and went to get everyone’s PFDs on when we were handed a set of rules for the pool.  The second to last rule was something to the effect of “no swimming in the pool while there are boats in the water.”  I asked about it and was told  that yes, everyone must be in a boat if they are in the pool.  To which I said something to the effect of, “yeah but the kids can swim at the edge of the pool like they’ve always done, right?”  I was again told that everyone must be in a boat to be in the pool, unless all boats were done for the evening.  The Mehlville rep, Mark, made it sound like this was a MWA rule, and Cathy made it sound like it was a Mehlville rule?  I did notice when I signed up for the sessions that it mentioned this open pool time was not for recreational swimming, but I assumed they were letting the general public know that this wasn’t for lap swimming.  The rules we were handed are not the same ones posted online when you sign up for the pool session, or I would have questioned it then.

So can someone please tell me whose rule this is, and what happened that this change was necessary?  We’ve been coming with kids since at least 2017.  Not gonna even claim my kids are perfect, but we’ve always told them to listen to lifeguards concerns and made corrections if we needed.  All of the “teaching kids to kayak” posts on the message board always talk about the importance of pool sessions in getting the kids comfortable getting into and out of boats; especially in clean, clear, warm water – “let them tip them over, swim out of them, etc., but don’t force it.”  The authors of those posts understood kids have a short attention span and aren’t going to stay in a boat the entire time – they want to swim and jump in, play with water guns, and so forth.  Another important aspect of the pool sessions for kids is getting to know fellow MWA’ers – people who would be their instructors at future clinics and kids who will be their fellow students and friends.  The pool sessions were a way for us to do a recreational activity together as a family, and to share and instill our love of water recreation with the kids.  My 3 year old went on the SLCKC Kids’ Float last summer and absolutely loved kayaking, she wanted to get in her boat tonight – which is amazing since she’s pretty timid.  But, she wanted to watch first, then swim, then boat.  Throw her in a boat right away and she’s overwhelmed and panicked.

As a mom of 3 kids under 6 working part time, I rarely get to the river anymore.  The pool sessions allowed me time to practice (God knows my roll desperately needs it) without guilt, yet time to play with the family, too.  The kids loved riding on the front of our boats, or hanging from the back grab loop, learning to kick.    My husband and I usually took turns at the sessions – one would play with the kids and help them in their kayak, while the other parent practiced in their boat.  For the sake of transparency, we were offered the chance to stay tonight since there were only 2 boats in the pool, however, everyone in the pool had to be in a boat.  We felt that wasn’t really a good option since we had the 14 month old with us, and only brought 2 boats.  Our plan tonight was to stay with the kids until my 3 year old got in her boat, then I would boat with her.  One adult sitting on the side of the pool for 1 1/2 hours with a 1 year old who is still learning to walk didn’t seem like a safe or enjoyable experience.  We didn’t plan on bringing the one year old every week, but thought it would be nice to start to get her acclimated to the water little by little; maybe every other week at the most.  I always thought this was the purpose of the MWA FAMILY pool sessions??  Am I wrong??  Gotta tell you I am beyond devastated right now, and moving on to livid.  My kids cried the whole way home.

Sarah

Bill Fordyce
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 33

Hey Sarah,
      At the risk of sounding like JK replying from afar.  I just wanted to give you an atta gurl for your note about having your kids at the pool class.   I’m like you, always thought it was kid inclusive.   I remember having little critters hanging on the side of kayaks, riding kayaks, shooting water guns, swimming, and just generally having a good time.   I hope that rule changes…

Sarah Watson
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Bill,</p>
      No resemblance whatsoever!  Thank you for taking time to show your support!  Hope wet get to see you this spring!

We discussed this at the meeting on Tuesday and were able to find a solution we think will work for all involved parties.  One pool session will be a “family focused” session that will allow swimming in a cordoned off area.  The other session will be paddler focused with no swimming allowed until boats are out of the water.

Sarah

John Tansil
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 206

Sarah-

I hope this works out for you. You and your family are such nice people and we all want to see more Watsons in whitewater!

_JohnT (perfesser)

Sarah Watson
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thank you, John!  It went well Saturday, Kay got in the boat for all of 5 minutes, but I’ll take what I can get ( at least she got in)!  The baby likes floating on her back, so much so it was pretty comical.  And Jacob loves to swim his heart out.  Next week I’ll hopefully get to paddle more!  Hope to see you soon, always love hanging out with the Tansils!</p>
      Sarah

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart