2015 Southeast Beginner Trip, Memorial Day Weekend

Home Forums General Discussion 2015 Southeast Beginner Trip, Memorial Day Weekend

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Sarah Watson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 120

SE Beginner Trip 2015
      Hi everyone,

We had a wonderful time at the races and the clinic is rapidly approaching, which means Memorial Day Weekend and the Southeast Beginner Trip is not too far away. This is a fantastic opportunity for newer boaters and those who take the clinic to practice their skills on new rivers in North Carolina and Tennessee. Rivers often run on this trip include the Nantahala, Tuckasegee, and French Broad, among others.

We have 18 bunks reserved at the Nantahala Outdoor Center for the nights of 5/22, 5/23, 5/24; the fee will be $20.50 per person per night. They have recently remodeled the bunk houses and changed the reservation system, so we have to confirm our reservations (release unused bunks) by May 2. If you want to attend this trip, please reserve your bunk by sending payment (must be received by May 2) to:

MWA Attn: SE Trip Leader
      PO Box 300099
      St. Louis, MO 63130

It looks like I’ll be unable to get off work and attend the trip this year, so I’m still looking for someone who is willing to lead this trip. Please contact me if you are interested.

Thank you!
      Sarah

andykravetz
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 30

What rivers other than the Nanty are you thinking about. I was gonna try to get Noah, my son, down a few. The Hiawessse might work for him. He’s not ready for the Nanty but he might be able to raft with my wife and daughter.

Sarah Watson
      Participant

The Hiawasse and Tuckasegee are also possibilities.  Still working on the river line up, and some of it may depend on river levels and the abilities of the paddlers on the trip.

This is a great way to practice all of the skills learned at the clinic, make friends in the paddling community, see some beautiful rivers outside of Missouri – and have some FUN!!  The deadline to reserve bunks is May 2 – about 10 days away.  Payment must be received to reserve a bunk.

Sarah

timolson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 15

Sarah, I’ll be there but I won’t need a bunk.  I’ll be in an open boat (Outrage). Do I need to do anything else to sign up officially?

Tim

Sarah Watson
      Participant

Tim,

Since this is a club trip, if you’re not currently an ACA member you will need to sign an ACA waiver and pay a $5 event insurance fee.  If you’re an ACA member, you can just meetup with the rest of the group (but bring your ACA card/number).  Just watch the message board as the time draws nearer about meetup times and locations.

Sarah

Sarah Watson
      Participant

Last chance to reserve a bunk is this Saturday, May 2.  Get your payment in to reserve a spot!!

Sarah

bobh
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 34

Sarah,

A check is in route for 2 bunks on FSS for Jon and me. How’s the trip shaping up?

Bob

Casara Heaton
      • Preferred Boat: Kayak
      • Years Paddling: 15
      • Total Posts: 138

I have a group of 7 going together on a cabin – we will be meeting up with the MWA group staying at the NOC.
      Looking at arriving on Thursday night and taking off on Monday – Can’t wait!

Sarah Watson
      Participant

The Southeast Trip is really coming together!  Diane McHenry will be trip leader (THANK YOU, DI!!!) , she can be reached at 5 seven 3 – 915 – seven 4 zero 4.  The group will be paddling the Hiawasse Friday, the Nantahala on Saturday and Sunday, and the advanced boaters will do the Ocoee on Monday.  So far there are 18 folks going on the trip, with 10 of those staying in the bunkhouses.  There are 8 bunks left.  Below are the folks I have staying in the bunkhouses.

Wentz Family (4)

McHenrys (2)

Hendersons (2)

Abby Johnson

Dan Bollinger

Reminder, payment must be received by this Saturday to reserve a bunk.  I will be handling the reservations at NOC, if you have questions about the rivers, you may contact Di.  If you’re not sure who to contact, feel free to contact me and I’ll try to find you an answer!

Sarah

DaggerDan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 413

I can’t wait!

Jason Robinson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 88

Sarah,

Eric Anderson and I plan to go on SE trip as well.  Plan to camp at Lost Mines Campground.

DaggerDan
      Participant

Since this will be my first SE trip, I’m wondering how the carpool situations work and what time people normally leave if you plan to paddle Friday? I realize I could call Di to find this out and I’m sure I will, but want it to be general knowledge for the others going. It shows an 8 hour trip from Jackson, MO where I live so does everyone leave out early Friday morning?

Steve Stilwell
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 87

Dania and I are Going. I have not been on the Hiawassee for about 10 years, but I know it will be a great first day for her. I hope to borrow or buy a dry suit for her first run of the Nanty. I will do the Ocoee Monday and Dania will be a shuttle bunny.

We made our own accommodations.

Dan, Di will set the meeting time for Friday morning, but you would probably need to leave home around 2 am to be there. I can’t/won’t do that stuff anymore. We will be there Thursday night.

Sarah Watson
      Participant

I think Di is planning to meet around 10 on Friday for those who are doing the Hiawassee.  She told me what time earlier today, but after  birthday party chaos and exhaustion, my mind is a little fuzzy! If folks want to carpool to NOC, they usually either post on the message board or contact others who are going directly.  We have the bunkhouses for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, so if you go down Thursday night, you will need to arrange for your own lodging.  As for shuttle, usually those details are usually worked out each day at the meeting  time and location set by the trip leader.

Looks like it’s gonna be a good group – about 24 people!

Sarah

bobh
      Participant

Steve, I have a drysuit you’re welcome to borrow if you think it will work. It’s a men’s size Medium. I’m 5’5″ but it could easily fit someone 5″ taller. Just let me know if you want to use it.

Bob Henderson

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

Bob, how about 5″ shorter? ;=)

Thanks for the offer, but Dania is only 5′ tall – 105 lbs. She could wear a women’s XS or small.

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Hi this is Di, using Chuck’s sign on!! So we are meeting at the take-out for the Hiawasee on Friday at 10:00am. We can do shuttle to the top and there will be vehicles at the bottom. Then on to Nantahala Friday evening. Sarah will have bunk assignments by the end of the week and hopefully all who needed a bunk got their reservations in (it is over)!!! I see that several folks are coming and have other accommodations. If folks want to boat together on the Nanty then meet up for shuttle by the cabins on top by 09:30am on Saturday. We can make a plan for Sunday when we see how folks skills are, maybe the Pigeon will be possible, or we can just stay at Nantahala. Monday is the Ocoee and homeward bound. If you need directions to the Hiawasse take-out, I will be posting those as the trip gets near (about a week before). We will have fun!! Di McHenry

DaggerDan
      Participant

Thanks for the updates Di. Does anyone have an extra spot in their vehicle for me and my kayak and we’ll split the gas or the other way around where I drive and we split the gas?

bobh
      Participant

Oops
      Obviously I haven’t met Dania yet. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else on the trip.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by bobh.
      Sarah Watson
      Participant

Can those of you who are staying in the bunk house please either message me your email address or email me at sjs2112 at yahoo dot com so I can send you more details on check in times, directions, etc?  I don’t have room #s yet, but can let everyone know what the bunk assignments are:

• 1st room :  Chuck and Diane McHenry
      • 2nd room: Abby Nicholson and Maureen Wilson
      • 3rd room: Jon Henderson, Bob Henderson, Dan Bollinger, Brandon Goodwin

Paddling with the group but staying elsewhere:

1. Tim Olson
      2. Casara Drury and friends
      3. Steve and Dania Stillwell
      4. Eric Anderson
      5. Jason Robinson

Looks like a great group of paddlers, wish I could join you all!!  Let me know if you have any questions!

Sarah

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Sarah Watson.
      Garrett Bentley
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3

Brittany and I will be joining you all on the trip. She’s finally got her roll and its time she gets to practice it unexpectedly, but we will still be sticking with the more beginner group and I can help with safety.

We won’t be staying in the bunkhouses, advantage of living so close now 🙂 Look forward to seeing everyone on the river.

Garrett Bentley

Garrett
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4

Late addition: Kevin and I will meet y’all Friday 10:00 AM at the Hiawassee take-out.  We have our own accommodations.

Garrett Doak, cell:  314-348-6909

Sarah Watson
      Participant

I sent an email and private message with lodging details for those who are staying in the bunkhouse.  Please let me know if you did not receive the information.

Also, please remember, those who are not ACA members must sign a waiver and pay $5 for insurance for the SE trip; even if you have your own lodging accommodations.

Let me know if you have any questions!  Hope everyone has a safe, fantastic trip!!

Sarah

DaggerDan
      Participant

Well its looking like I’ll have to drive by myself and possibly not make it to the Hiawassee Friday since I’d have to drive all night. Guess I’ll have to see how I feel Thursday when I get done with work. I’ll call/text Di to let her know for sure but don’t wait up for me if I’m not at the take out at 10am.

Jason Robinson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 88

I’m the ultimate procrastinator

Is River Rats the normal camping site for MWA on the Ocoee?

Anyone have the Phone #?

Or is anyone camping somewhere else near Hiawasee on Thursday night?

Thanks,

Jason

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

Jason,

I think this is much closer to the Hiawassee take out.

http://tnstateparks.com/parks/about/hiwassee-ocoee

Freddie Carter
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 222

No drinking, no tolerance in TN State Parks ! Not so much as 1 beer.. River Rats is best for the Ocoee, but very crowded on Holiday weekends. Google them for number. Try and reserve you a spot. They have motel room like Cabins too.

bobh
      Participant

Jason,

Sent you a  PM.

Bob

bobh
      Participant

Unfortunately, Jon and I have to cancel our trip. I know we’re going to miss out on a good time.

I have two bunks reserved for Fri, Sat & Sun. if anyone is still looking for a place to sleep. Cost is $123 for the weekend. Let me know if you’re interested. Wanted to post it here before I cancel the reservation.

Bob H
      (314) 398-8208

McChuck
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 557

Hi Everyone!

We plan to meet for the Hiawasse paddle on Friday at 10:00am.  We will meet at the take-out which is at the Hiawasse Outfitters, 155 Ellis Creek Road,

Reliance, TN  37369.  You can MapQuest or Google Earth this location.  My Cell# is 573-915-7404.  Text or call me if you have any questions.  We will be getting to NOC Friday evening & Sarah mail details for lodging if you are staying at the Bunkhouse at NOC.  Looks to be a GOOD time!

Di McHenry

Sarah Watson
      Participant

Looks like there are 3 bunks available for the Southeast Beginner Trip, $61.50 for 3 nights (Fri, Sat, Sun).  If you think you want one, please call or text me ASAP.  If there are no takers by tomorrow am, I will see if NOC will let us cancel a room.

Sarah

three 1 four – 221 – eight 1 eight 4

Emilee Wentz-Franke
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4

It was great getting to boat with yall this weekend, special thanks to…

(and everyone not listed as well, obviously I love you most, no need to write you down)

Nate, Rachel & Natalie- outstanding boater crew and blanket forts

Julie and Mom- pitt crew extraordinaire/shuttle bunnies/paparazzi

Bilbo- all things put together/beverage chooser/boat doctor
      Dad- sweep pro/father duckling/drysuit importer

Jason, dan, chris, brandon, steve- nanty marathon day/surfing machines/ducky belly flop entertainment (& of course our Coronita shuttle bunny)

Flyshoot- bro time/boater education/somuch quality dental talk we should write off this trip
      Tracy n byron- rapid namers and line makers

Ladi di- mover n shaker/ultimate organizer/mama duck

Orange n yellow boat paddlers- great river company

Yellow open boat- best perfect line at diamond splitter

With famous guest appearances by…

Raymond- morning views n late night chats

Cindy n Ryan- Best hug ever. Best trip tales.

Garrett- safety boater/paddle catcher/local boater representation

Hope to see you all on the river again soon! (Come on out to Washington)

Xoxo,

Emilee & Matt

DaggerDan
      Participant

It was a pleasure boating with you emilee and everyone else. Had more fun than any other trip in my life. Ran a flawless pigeon and ocoee but only because of the ones showing the lines. Cant wait to go back sometime!

timolson
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 15

Hahaha I love that my boat got a shout out instead of me! Fitting since I wasn’t in it when it had that perfect line at diamond splitter 🙂

Tim

Steve Stilwell
      Participant

Had a great time! Thanks again Di for leading. I had Dania mentally prepared to start out on the Hiawassee Friday before moving on to the Nantahala. So, we get there Friday morning and they were not releasing water until Saturday. Di said we would go on to the Nanty. Dania began to get nervous and I assured her it would be fine. She was really uptight when we got there. I put her on below Patton’s Run and all went well from there. She had her very first and only swim and that was at a silly rock in an eddy. I, of course, had her take out above the falls. After her second run she was ready to go again. She now has a much better understanding of how nice it is to have dam release rivers. And why we can’t say we are going to the Saint on a particular future date. Especially when it’s warm weather.

We had a great MWA group on the Ocoee Sunday. I was really impressed with the stellar runs by a few first timers. As much as there is to not like about all the rafts, I had my first positive encounter with one. Our group got tangled up a little at Broken Nose and I ended up stuck in a side surf at the bottom of the third drop. After a short while, along came a raft and knocked me right out of the hole! I gave the raft guide a high five for that one.

Man I love that river!

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart